How old is too old when having kids?

I say you could have a baby at 90 but if your doctor says it is bad then I guess not. I was watch this show on older women having kids.

ja2010

Asked by ja2010 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Id say once you can no longer have a child and have gone through menopause you should not attempt to adopt. Its Gods way of saying youre too old to have a child.

Answer by gemgem at 12:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• if there is a chance that your kids wont finish school (high school) before you pass on due to age.. you're too old.. i know having kids is a gift but that gift goes both ways.. a child should be able to enjoy growing up WITH their parents not losing their parents to old age before they are even old enough to get their diploma
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• This is a tough one. I had my children young, I was 22 with my first and 27 with my third, so the thought of having a child at 50 or 60 seems to much for me because my other children will be 28, 26 and 23 when I am 50. With that said if you don't have children young and your doctor says it is okay then having a child at 50 or 60 would be okay. I think you have to think about your children though and if you have a child at 60 then you will almost 80 when they graduate from high school. You might not even live to see them graduate high school.

I guess everyone will do what is best for them, I know for me I am glad I had my children young.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think if your body parts still work, go for it. But if you're 55+ and need a zillion shots and dr appts to force it to happen..... ummm no. Nature may be trying to tell you something
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i think 30-35 because you want to have a long life with your kids not have them and short them out on there mom!! i had mine @ 17 and i think thats little early but i know im goin to see him grow in to a nice young man.
    kolbysmama20

Answer by kolbysmama20 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you are going to be old enough to be a physical burden on your children before they are ever out of high school then you are too old. My husband's parents were too old when he was born as far as I'm concerned. His mom was in her late 40s and his dad in his early 50s. I'm so glad we were young when our kids were born, I don't worry about being a burden on them like his parents have been on us.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Hey people there are NO guarantees that ANY age mother is going to live to see her children graduate from high school!

You 20-somethings could JUST as easily get hit by a car as a 40-something mom. My mom's best friend died of breast cancer when she was 31, leaving behind her 3 kids for Grandma to raise. We don't walk into motherhood with some kind of sureity that we'll live to see our own grandkids.

AmandaMonique

Answer by AmandaMonique at 12:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think you really need to think of your life plans, how long you can reasonably expect to live, and what it will do to your child if, reasonably, you might not be around for their high school graduation and to be a grandparent.

I say that because my FIL was very near 60 when my LP was conceived, and passed when he was 10. That was very hard on him, and it means that our children were born without him, he never saw him graduate high school or college, never taught him to drive a car, nothing.

We are pregnant with our 3rd at 27 and 30, and if we decide to go for a 4th, it will be within the next year or two, because that would put us near 50 when the youngest is graduating. We want to be able to take our kids' kids and help them, enjoy our retirement, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think your body will naturally stop at the right time. For some women, that may be earlier than others. I don't think one age is the limit for anyone, just as one age on the how young to have a baby isn't right for every woman in every culture.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think you need to weigh the risks of having a child at any time in your life heavily. But more so after 35-40 because the risks for certain genetic problems (down syndrome) and other complications can skyrocket.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011