Would you allow your high schooler to take a school trip out of state?

Just curious.
Would it make a difference what grade they were in? If the trip was co-ed or just boys/girls? How far away they were going?

I was wondering if the kind of trips I took in high school were going out of style with as overprotective as most parents are now a days.

I was in my high school orchestra and in 10th grade we went to Nashville (from Chicago). It was a weekend long trip (took buses) and we had so much fun. We went to a museum, took a music class, saw the symphony, did dinner theater, went to Opryland (the highlight of the trip) where we were let lose to explore on our own and then performed at a school on our way home. I was 16 when we went and there were girls between 14-18 on the trip (no boys, I went to an all girl school). There was never a question of if I could go. As soon as my parents heard about they started saving to pay for it.

Then in 12th grade we went to St. Louis which wasn't as much fun but still pretty cool (did get to spend the day at Six Flags which is always fun).

But in between that the school's choir went to New York City which meant flying.

I remember when it was tradition for 8th graders to go to Washington, DC. My class went in 1991 (I didn't get to go). Now it's unheard of unless you live within driving distance. My brother's class didn't even go in 1994. And I remember going to Six Flags in junior high where we just ran all over on our own, checking in every couple of hours. The only stipulation was we couldn't be alone (had to be in at least pairs). These were 12-14 year olds. It was the best. Now parents won't even let 12 year olds into their front yards without an adult present.

All those great memories I have I wouldn't get with the way parenting is now. My kids will participate if they get the chance. I hope they do.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes. They do a good job organizing and supervising field trips. Our high school even offers international trips and I would possibly allow one of my kids to go on one of those.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If I were a chaperone, sure. No way would I allow my child to go out of state with many of the people employeed at our local public school. But, we homeschool so thankfully it's not something I have to worry about.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our high schools still do it. They have an end of year trip mostly what stops parents from sending kids though is the cost. Last year they were going to two places you could choose from (Nashville or Washington DC). They took a bus which took basically a whole day lol, spent the night, saw the sites, and drove home the day after. It was a 3-4 days trip and $500. But like I said, most of what stops parents I know is the cost, not the trip itself.
    I would however NEVER EVER sponsor or allow a trip to another country or the Caribbean alone. Kids tend to go a little insane when they are free to drink and gamble is why. I love my kids but I am not sure I could handle an all inclusive lol.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was able to go on trips like that in HS and JHS.....my kids older sister has been on weekend long trips with school in 5th-8th grade already....so yeah i would let mine go
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Out of state? At our high school kids take trips out of the country!..Great learning opportunities all year long.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Absolutely. It makes for a great learning experience!! Hell, out here most 8th graders take the Washington DC trip.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Of course I would , no hesitation at all if the child wanted to go and the cost was reasonable .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• In 8th grade We took a trip to Washington DC., New York, And a few other states (coming from houston,tx on a bus!) It was Co-Ed but we had different rooms at hotels (duh)..It was the most amazing experience in my life!
    There was a few things that happened on the trip (these kids did this in their daily life-so trip didnt "harm" them!). But its the few kids you would expect to get into trouble. Everyone else respected the adults on the trip & wanted to enjoy the trip to the max & understood their parents put out alot of money/trust for this to happen so we all acted responsible!

It was a trip I will never ever forget & Im glad my parents allowed me to do it!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm glad to hear schools are still doing it. Our orchestra got invited to go to some music festival in Vienna, Austria but the cost was too high to organize (over $2000 per girl and there were 80+ of us in the orchestra). It was considered, though.
    My friend went to a different girl's school and her one class (I think it was one of her AP classes) sponsored a trip to Europe. They all had a great time. Her only problem was she was pregnant and no body knew (she was 17 at the time and was too afraid to tell anyone). She said she had horrible morning sickness the whole time and had to come up with excuses why she was sick and wasn't drinking (and yes, the girls drank since they were all of legal age in the countries they went to). Not sure if the adults knew about the drinking but she said it wasn't out of control like in the States and they all had a great time.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our kindergarten class takes a field trip out of state at least twice a year. Of course, the school is only 15 minutes from the state line. ;)

To answer if I would allow my kids to go on an overnight trip far away with a school group when they are in high school, I would say "yes". When I was in high school, my sister's band class took a trip to Germany, with no problems. (How's that for "out of state"?) It all depends on how well it is organized, and what the reason is for going.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 1:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011