What does it mean when your child has to line everything up?

DawnMaynor

Asked by DawnMaynor at 11:07 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can be an autistic tendency, but not necessarily. I would just watch for other indications and if you are concerned, discuss with your pediatrician.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• oh you mean like lining his toys up? like the pp said, could be autism, or he could just have learned it and thought it was cool. i would talk with the pedi if there are other signs. you can google other signs.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My son is really into trains and lines up EVERYTHING lol...
    kb714

Answer by kb714 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My lil brother and I used to line up our cars all the time. I am autistic(high functioning) and he isnt so you prolly have a 50/50 chance of him being autistic. Just keep an eye out for other symptoms and if you feel you need to, get him tested.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 11:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Both of my sons line all of their cars and trucks up. And, they are both fine.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It may just mean he is organized. I would not worry about it at this point.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My daughter lines up everything! Tupperware, toys, shoes, etc. She doesn't have any other signs of autism. I think it is just something kids learn to do. I am big on organizing and keeping things like cans and jars perfectly lined up. Maybe its just in her blood lol!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I did it when I was a child...I'm not autistic...I'm social, bartended for10 years.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• That is how kids learn. I highly doubt she is autistic just bc she lines her toys up.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a normal phase for a toddler to go through - when combined with other things, it can be a sign of autism, but if that's the only thing a child does, I wouldn't worry!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2008