AAAAARRRGGGHHHH! She NEVER stops talking!!!!

Have you ever wanted to tell your kid to just shut up!!!?

I love my 4 yr old daughter Kelley with every single fiber in my body, she is the sunshine of my life and all those other cliches wrapped up in one huge corny bow but.....Good Lord! She NEVER stops talking! She talks from morning till night....she talks to me when I'm in the other room, she talks to me when I'm using the bathroom, she talks when SHE"S using the bathroom...she sings the same verse of the same song over and over and over again....and I BETTER be listening cause she WILL get my attention and accuse me of not paying attention to her lol

And it's not like I don't talk to her....I want to help her develop her language skills....I listen to her conversations about Dora and Boots lol....I look surprised every time she looks out the window and tells me it's raining (at least 10 times a day) even though it's been raining for the last 5 days lol And even when she's talking to herself...and I'm ignoring her because it's obvious she's talking to herself...she will tap my leg and TELL me she's talking to herself!!! LOL

I MISS SILENCE!!!! LOL

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• lol Mom, you just described my 4-year-old DD! It must be an age thing?? I don't remember my other DD talking this much-- Sometimes I just PRAY for silence! I have taught her to play quiet waters -- still waters, but, imagine this -- she always loses!!! Does your DD insist that you also LOOK at her while shes talking, so that she make sure you are REALLY listening?? lol -- Gotta love them! Maybe we should just get them cell phones and they can call each other?????
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Maybe it's time to find a preschool she can attend a few days a week. It might do you both some good (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• LOL! Been there. Done that. Had the giant bottle of Excedrin for the headache. ;) I know exactly what you're saying.

You know what though? Now that he's almost 9 and too cool to be seen all cozy with mom, I miss the days when he'd not shut up. ;) Thankfully, my 6 yr old daughter is still a non-stop chatter box so I can remember that I had wished for a "happy medium."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Play the quite game, I have had a few chatty Cathy's myself and I found that if I could get at least 5 minutes every few hours the constant chatting wouldn't be as bad. I always offered up some kinda prize and whoever won would get the prize, I'd try to make it something that even if I won they would enjoy but the fact that it wasn't *their* prize was usually enough to help them try harder the next time.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree that placing her in preschool will be a good thing for both of you. I bet she would love it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my son does the same thing so I can't help you much we just try to distract him into doing other things that keep his mind and hands busy and he doesn't think about talking as much because he is concentrating on what he is doing
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would LOVE to put her in preschool but unfortunatly it costs an arm and a leg and we just can't afford it right now =(
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Have a quiet time a few times a day. She can color, or such, during that time. Make it fun and have a stash of quiet time activities for her.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Look for local preschool type programs through your library. My kids loved those and it gave them a chance to talk with other kids. Also, there might be a MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) in your area. Those meetings are free and the kids play and the moms chat.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011