Where is the line between wanting to spend time with your SO and being needy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think there's an exact line, per say. It varies from couple to couple.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Agree. It depends on the couple and their personalities. I know with my husband if I called him multiple times a day and clung onto his neck the moment he walked in the door he would say whoah, back off LOL. I would do the same to him though.

Answer by gemgem at 12:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I guess the line is if you have no other interests or time away from each other. If you feel the need to spend every waking moment at the exclusion of all other things that is clingy - at least IMO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Depends on couple...my SO and I both enjoy the same things but we also need our space so sometimes we will go do those things together as a couple or with the kids as a family or individually too. We try to find that balance that works for us.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I know I need my space. I had an ex that needed to know my work schedule, who I was going out with and the list went on. I'm just glad it's not like that with my husband. Yes I do need to be with him from time to time but I have my limit of him. LOL
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It definitely depends on the couple. My SO and I spend hours on the phone every day, and when he is home (he's an otr truck driver), we spend pretty much the entire 3-4 days together. For us, it works. For another couple, they'd probably be ready to kill each other. And even within our relationship, it can depend on the time, our moods, our stress levels, and other stuff that's going on. Sometimes we do get sick of each other.

I think if one partner is feeling the other is being clingy, then both need to sit down and discuss what kind of time, attention, and affection they need from each other, and come to a compromise that works for both of them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My SO likes spending time together...I normally don't. I usually see him 5 days out of the week. Those two days off he calls a lot. We almost didnt start dating because I never call or text back immediately. He finally asked if I even liked him and if I was content with who I was. I told him I'm not a stalker, but I like my space. I think he might be the needy one.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We are all needy sometimes. I do not believe there is a line.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you can spend time apart without feeling insecure or unhappy, then all is well. If you find yourself having uncontrollable obsessive thoughts of jealousy, or you are unhappy when you are apart even for a short time, then you may want to look within to see if there's something else going on inside you.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I do not think there is a line, i think if the other person feels they need more space than you do you have to find a happy medium because he may think...your being needy...but we all need our alone time and our together time for a healthy relationship.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 1:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011