Do you think grounding a child for misbehavior at school is acceptable?

My son (seven years old) is in first grade. He leaves here in the morning in a pretty good mood but today for the fourth time in the last three weeks, his teacher called to tell me he is behaving terribly. Name calling kids, throwing his work across the room, telling the teacher off. I am debating whether I should make a consequence of this being grounded to his room after school. Do you think this is an acceptable consequence?

RayneStorm3

Asked by RayneStorm3 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• YES! Only question is why wasn't he in trouble the first time. It shouldn't take three calls from the teacher to correct bad behavior.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes. I would also look into seeing why his behavior has changed? Have you moved? Has there been any new kids or good friends leave the school? Is someone bullying him? Is there a babysitter that is new or maybe something going on there? There is usually always a reason kids start acting out.

Answer by gemgem at 12:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes I do think it's acceptable. My son knows that he gets in trouble at school, he will get punished at home too.
    LeePhi

Answer by LeePhi at 12:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes it is an acceptable consequence.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Certainly, at the very minimum .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would first talk to him and see what he has to say about it. Then ask the teacher what happens in class before he does all of these things. There might be a trigger in the class room that you can help the teacher identify.

Regardless- I would never punish just based on what a teacher says until I got some real answers.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would ground him his old enough to understand his doing something wrong my brother 5 year old is the same way she doesn't finish her hw and ya
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have taken away xbox privilages in the previous times for this behavior, that obviously didn't work. My kids are usually allowed on the xbox for an hour a day if they had a good day. Only changes to happen in the last 9 months is mom is pregnant. I am due next friday and understand some misbehavior but when I ask him why he misbehaved he will tell me he didn't want to do the work or that his teacher made him mad.
    RayneStorm3

Comment by RayneStorm3 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Along with any punishments make sure he still gets one on one time with you and DH too. And praise when he does things right. He may be feeling left out early because of the upcoming birth. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes, my kids always knew that if they got in trouble at school they got in trouble at home, provided they were at fault at school. If not, they knew they had a mom who would back them up.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011