How did you pick your career?

Did you look at the average salary or did you go with what you really wanted to do?

I'm currently going to college. My biggest challenge right now is determining what I want to major in. My parents want me to do something that makes good money, but I want to do something I truly will enjoy and benefit from personally. I want to major in Rehabilitation and Human Services but they want me to do pharmacy, nursing or physical therapy.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• Do what is your passion. Do not do something just to please someone else. It is all about personal truth and self actualization. Stick to your guns. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• In college I picked what I really found interesting, which was a degree in mathematics. I had little idea of what I would do with the degree, but knew it could be applied to a lot of different things.

I was an actuary a short while, but then moved to an area that didn't have any, so I temped around a while trying out different positions. Eventually I found work as an analyst and knew I found my nitch.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I graduated high school with no idea what I wanted to do so I started thinking back to all the things I ever wanted to be, picked the one that still sounded like a good idea and sought out an internship for it. I ended up loving it and 6 years later I'm still doing it and on a great path. Unfortunately the industry can be pretty tough but the skills I'm learning and the experience I have can help me in a ton of other fields as well. I have the potential to make good money if I'm lucky and stay focused but I prefer a job I love. I've been here 6 years and have yet to wake up dreading the day's work. I don't ever want to lose that!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I wanted to be a mom so lol. I went back to college though and ended up with the same career path as my mom and aunt. I guess Psychology runs in the family.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I picked my college major based on my interests, mainly computers. Luckily, that also led to a good salary.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I always knew I would be a SAHM, but my degree is in History with my 9-12 teaching certification. History is my "thing" - I love it! If I ever have to work, that's the age kids I like the best and I tutored a lot in highschool and enjoyed that, so I figured I would like teaching. I did enjoy my student teaching and I have subbed through the years when my mom or MIL can keep my kids - it's nice to have something flexible.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I didn't. I fell into mine, but I do enjoy it.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 3:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• In high school I was told that my chosen career field was overcrowded. So, in college, for about two years, I studied in a related field that I thought would be market saavy. However, the one professor in that field had many personal problems in his family that reflected negatively in his treatment of certain students. I was not passionate about it or even in agreement with most of the students about how to operate in that field. Therefore, I went back to majoring in the field that had been my first love.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 6:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I did what I liked the best and enjoyed it for years
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 10:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011