my brother and his gf are staying at my house until monday but are complete slobs what do i do...

for one i dont like smoking in the house so i made an exception cause DH started smoking and that they could smoke in the kitchen and they smoke in the living room and then they dont pick up after themselves... espically his GF... i made them help me clean yesterday and after 15 min they decided they were done... uggh the house was still a pit... i want to tell them to go some where else but money is tight... he will be leaving on monday but still what would u do??? also posted in holidays

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 11:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• In a quiet relaxed way tell them that you enjoy having them but that they must do their share of the chores or you won't be able to have them stay at your place any longer. Be specific about what they are to do.

Answer by Bmat at 12:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would make them all smoke out side. Thats what I do to my DH. Good weither or bad, smoke out side. I would make your brother and his girlfriend Pay me everyday, like they were staying in a hotel, sense they are nasty people

Answer by louise2 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Hell, I'd tell them to either shape up or get out. Tell them that you have standards and if they don't want to adhere to them, than they can find somewhere else to stay. It's not your responsibility to pick up after them, they're adults right? Tell them to stop acting like children and start respecting your rules and themselves. And tell them they can't smoke anywhere except in the designated areas or outside. Just be firm and treat them like little kids if you have to, it sounds like they're acting like them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• You are really helping them out right now. I would just sit them down and say ( calmy ) this is what needs to happen. Include, if you want to smoke in here... USE SOME SPRAY TO COVER UP THE STINK! I know it can be frusteraitng but you are really making a diffrence in their lives. I would not say they are "nasty" people they are just diffrent from what you want. They are probally just not used to what you are. Just nicley let them know whats up. You are just annoyed, take a breathe and relax.... I know how annoying this can be. TRUST ME I go through this everyday. We have people IN and out
    Good luck!! =)
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 12:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• If he were your child or a friend of your child over for a sleepover you would set down rules. That's your home. They can respect it or find another place to stay. Tell them to clean up after themselves or go stay in a tent out in the cold.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Put all three slob in one spot and talk to them . Smoking only in kitchen .
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Smoking - OUTSIDE

I would agree with the money thing - if they can't be clean then they pay to stay.
    Anonymous

• I smoke, but I always smoke outside, or in the garage regardless of weather. If you have kids in the house then you should definitely make them go outside.

I think you should just deal with their messiness until they leave. It isn't like they are staying for a month. He's your brother, your family, and it is a holiday. Do you really want to do something like demand money from your brother? That just sounds so heartless.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 5:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Eeew! Make them smoke outsite! Second hand smoke is harmful too...Also it stinks!Stick to their rules. Tell them they need to help or will have to leave!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Ask them NICELY to respect you and your family. Have a talk. Ask them to do stuff instead of telling them. Or have your DH do it...maybe he'll be a little more intimidatiing :-)
    Anonymous