Has anyone had a successful relationship with someone who is bipolar? Or an illness, period?

I recently posted a few question about my friend being schizophrenic and BP, well he was successfully diagnosed, and is ONLy Bipolar. I have been doing some research and all the ones I have found with someone dating a person with this illness has NOT been successful, but I am determined....

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Just because all you've read/heard about have been failed, doesn't mean YOURS will fail. As long as you both understand the illness and work with each other to get through it together.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My first husband was bi-polar. My current husband is not and we are very happy.

Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It can be if he gets the help he needs. I was married to a man who was bipolar and other things for 11 years. Most of that time he beat me and I felt like I had other child
    star816

Answer by star816 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm married to Dh for 13 yrs and he's bipolar. Honestly it depends on the individual. With Dh when he's down he's just quite. When he's up he's jubilant. You'd think the sulking Dh would be the worst. Its not! I actually wrote an article about it. You can read it here.

There is also a great group of women in this CM group.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ya of course you need to give your best shot. Doing the right thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise only because of the illness is wrong. Love thy man completely....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• As long as he works on staying healthy by taking his meds, then your chances are wonderful. The problem comes when someone won't do what they need to to stay stable. Which, can be a BIG issue with bipolars because the meds can make them feel "dulled". But, as long as he is on board with treatment, the bipolar will not control him.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It all depends on the person. You can do all the research in the world but it still will not help with finding out if your relationship will work. If he takes his medications and the two of you work together, you'll have a normal relationship.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well if your determined then you should be fine...stay strong and remember that you are there for him...
    terep001

Answer by terep001 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It really depends on the person, on whether they get treated and stay treated, and how understanding you as their partner are. Meaning, while they're working on getting effective treatment, being understanding that what they might say or do to you that's hurtful isn't necessarily done with the intention of being hurtful, and being able to remember that if you stick it out until they are being effectively treated, things will get better.

My SO has some sort of issue going on, but we're not sure yet exactly what it is. Leaning toward bipolar, but not 100% sure, and haven't been able to get a diagnosis yet. I have depression, anxiety, and PMDD (yeah, we're a frigging mess! lol). While my issues are not the same as bipolar, dealing with me is somewhat similar: he has to remember that sometimes I say or do things not because I want to hurt him or don't love him, but because my emotions get the better of me because of my issues.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• More of the relationships that fail have nothing to do with mental problems. As long as he takes his meds and goes to therapy and you both work at it, things should be fine.
    Anonymous