What makes them lie??

I have been reading other comments, posts and journals about DH's, BF's, and SO's being horrible and habitual liars...
My SO is a compulsive liar...What makes them lie? Why can't they just tell the truth?? Mine lies about STUPID shit all the time! He knows that this bothers me ALOT and that I divorced my last two husbands for lies. But he continues to lie. It's usually not really serious and he has never cheated - I know. He lies about what he eats, or if he bought a pack of cigs, like I said, STUPID shit!
Will he ever learn to tell the truth or am I beating a dead horse?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Mine too. I'm pretty sure he does it out of fear of making me mad but I'm not sure when it's going to get through his head that I get way more pissed off when I find out he lied than I would if I he had just told me the damn truth. I may get annoyed with whatever he did but I keep telling him that he's only hurting my trust in him and that it would probably be much better that I get a little mad here and there and get over it quickly than making me think twice next time he tells me something that sounds a little fishy. His ass though!
    Anonymous

• Fear is my DH's problem. He's afraid of getting in trouble or afraid he will hurt me which causes me to get mad at him.
    Anonymous

• who knows. I kinda things it funny when my husband TRYS to lie to me becuase I will just look at him and he will crack. He cant lie to me lol
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 12:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I try not to put my husband or children in the position where they feel they have to lie. For example, if they ate the last cookie after I said not to, I don't ask if they ate the last cookie. They know and I know that they did, so my asking them places them in a position where they can admit it and be criticized, or lie about it and not be criticized.

Answer by Bmat at 12:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• You are beating a dead horse. Just accept him as he is. Normally habitual liars are formed from something early in childhood. So you can't undo what was done back then. If he is lying about things that don't matter then let it go. Make it a joke if you can. Many of us have had to deal with compulsive liars. It's not pleasant but after a while you can figure out they are lying. My x did it but I could tell when he was lying because of his facial expression. I just let it go. It wasn't worth fighting over silly stuff to me. I did divorce him but not for lying.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My ex-BF, before I met my DH, was a compulsive liar. It made me so angry that he couldn't tell the truth. I remember asking him why he lies and I really don't recall what he said, must have been something like "I don't know" ... thankfully he is my EX - I saw the light and broke up with him!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It sounds like you nag way too much. If you have dealt with this b4 with your last husbands it sounds like your the one bringing the problem into the relationship. It's sounds bad but you seem like your pushing him to lie. Your just going to end up in another divorce if you don't let up. Sorry but someone's has to say it.
    Anonymous

• Anon - I don't nag but ok....

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My DH also tells lies for no reason. He makes up things all the time. I have a good memory and I'll bring up something he has told me earlier and he denies saying it! His mother tells "stories" too, perhaps it's genetics. I don't agree that it's anything that you do, my DH makes up things no matter the circumstance. I've talked about it with him and he is trying to change his ways, he wants to. I hope my children don't inherit this trait! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I just love it when mine tells me lie after freakin lie and he knows I know he's lying, yet has the BALLS to accuse ME of lying!! I do NOT lie. I will tell you your ugly TO YOUR FACE if I have to!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just don't understand this need to lie?! Some of you are saying out of fear....I don't think that is the case with mine. It's more like he has to "one - up" me. He has to have it worse or a more incredible story - it is sickening and makes me so damn mad! Then he tells me that I need to trust him - RIGHT! Are you kidding me?!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2008