How long.....?

How long do you let your kid sit there and NOT eat before you let them get up? Is there a consequence for not eating their food? When they say they are hungry the next time do you make them eat the food they didnt eat?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• We make our DD stay at the table until everyone is done. I don't make her eat, but if she doesn't eat her regular meals, she doesn't get any snacks. If she does want to eat something before the next meal time, she is given the previous meal.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my kids are bottomless pits.... we don't have eating battles so much.

if they don't eat, though, I assume they aren't hungry and I skip upcoming snack/treats/dessert and they wait til next meal. And if it's something that can be cleanly/safely reheated I'll serve the exact same thing.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I try not to focus too much on the food. My parents were really big on strictness regarding eating/not eating, and my siblings and I all struggle with eating disorders now . . . . So, I just put out healthy options, and I fugure that their bodies will tell them when they are truly hungry, or not. I am hoping that they will learn to trust the signals of their bodies. I just provide nutrients. I also am not strict about mealtimes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't make a big deal out of it. It just creates problems. My 5 year old rarely eats dinner. He is fine. I don't force him to sit, he does sit with us though. But he can get up, our home is not jail. If he is hungry after not eating dinner I will give him a cheese stick or a banana.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our kids sit until everyone is done eating - that's part of our family time that we spend catching up and talking about everyone's day. If they don't eat, then they wait until the next snack/meal.

Answer by missanc at 1:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• With my son, he sits there and if he doesnt eat what we give him, it is given to him on the next meal... because he just wants to be picky sometimes.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my mom was a monster to me about meals - i have asburgers (undiagnosed as a child) and she IS A BAD COOK - even now i cannot finish a meal she has cooked - she tries but she doesnt have the gift. so my son is expected to eat a serving of each - a serving is as much as they could hold in one cupped hand - so a grown man's serving isnt the same as my serving. he can always snack unless a meal is about to be ready. we really only have healthy snacks available (well the girl scout cookies are hidden) and i have taken cooking classes and while my food pails to my mils (she grew up a poor hillbilly so she had to cook to eat - i had a microwave!) it is way better than anything i ate growing up --- that is what bothers me about the debate about making them finsih meals... WHAT IF u arent a good cook - what if it is really gross? that is what i lived as a kid... so just consider that moms!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• They can get up after everyone else is done. If they refuse to eat their food than that's it. They go to bed hungry. We don't have any other food after dinner (no late night snacks or dessert) and if they are still little (like under 5) and start really crying they are hungry they have that plate of food still on the table to eat. Amazingly this doesn't come up much (only with my oldest and it has little to do with the food and all to do with her behavior problem and trying to cause problems). I have 4 kids that are not picky eaters. Every person I've ever met with a picky eater would always make their kids a separate meal if they said they didn't want what was made. I make one meal and they eat it or go without. If I know it is something they do not like (like my 8yo doesn't like tacos) then they can have leftovers.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What Kimedbs said. My younger DD was always too "busy" to want to eat. She was made to sit at the table with the rest of us till dinner was done. If she didn't eat the meal, it was saved until she decided she was hungry. No snacks, no treats...just the meal she chose not to eat earlier. Then, if she ate it, she would get what the family got for dessert.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I totally agree with Kimedbs!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011