Does anyother 1 year old have this issue?

My daughter has had this weird rash since she was about 6 months, I thought it was diaper rash but the doctor told me it wasn't that it had something to do with the strepthroat virus. It always goes away but shows up for no reason, and it sometimes takes up to weeks to go away. It doesn't seem to bother her, and the doctor doesn't seem to think that it's a big deal, but I can't help but wonder if this is common or not. Or if I should pursue maybe more treatment from her pedi. Some have wondered if it has to do with her diaper not being changed but she always has her diaper changed as soon as she soils it. I'm NOT one of those moms who waits to get their use. :) The rash looks like zits or red dots all over her diaper area. Sometimes they are as big as cheerios, sometimes they are tiny and spread down her thighs or belly.

Humanerror99

Asked by Humanerror99 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is it just in the diaper region? could she be allergic to the diapers or wipes? Did the pedi give you a diaper cream to help it?
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It is just the diaper region but sometimes it spreads to the belly or legs. She's allergic to vitamin e (that's how we found out the first time that she was getting the rash, the wipes had vitamin e in them) so we switched to a brand that did not have it. She was fine for a while until we were unable to go to the store which had our specific brand and had to get something else. Vitamin e was hidden in the ingredients under a different name so we stopped those. But now she seems to be breaking out for no reason. I try not to give her anything to drink right before bed or else she wakes up with a soggy diaper and that seems to irritate it. I'm just at a loss for what the heck is going on
    Humanerror99

Comment by Humanerror99 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would bring her to a NEW Pediatrician the next time the rash appears for a second opinion & dump her old Pediatrician. Sounds like a wrong diagnosis.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would begin to question the diapers. My oldest was so sensitive to diapers and wipes that I actually couldn't use wipes on her. I had to use just plain water. As far as diapers I had to switch to cloth and could only use free and clear detergents on her. What about her bath soaps? That could also cause irratation.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• and I agree, maybe find a new pedi? Sounds like he is not listening to your concerns :/ I would take her to a new pedi. It could be a number of things, could even be a yeast infection. My youngest breaks out when she has too much dairy.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You can get strep all over your body - that is why they test your ass before you deliver babies - to see if you are strep positive - call your ob and ask them to look up your test - i was positive but i had c sections so my kids couldnt get it from passing through me. i guess you become strep positive by blowing your nose in a tissue when you have strep in your nose and then wiping - they said i could have done it as a child .... because i do not do that. but yes we can get strep all over our bodies - i would more question why can it not be treated better - shouldnt she have a prescription cream or something?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, they tested me for strep, and it was negative.. She uses a special bath soap and lotion everyday because she has eczema, it's a very mild soap and has no smell or fragrance. Switching pedi's is not an option for me. I live in a fairly small town and I have the best one in town! I just happen to use his nurses most of the time because he's always so busy. They have looked at her a number of times and have tried a few things, i'm just looking for similar issues that maybe I can bring up the next time we go. She is very very sensitive to alot of things. She does eat tons of dairy though, maybe that has a little impact? Are using cloth diapers difficult? Wouldn't they leak?
    Humanerror99

Comment by Humanerror99 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011