What to do when your child is suffering from seperation anixety?

OctoberOrganics

Asked by OctoberOrganics at 12:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• cater to it. the sooner the child can feel secure that you will be there for him when he needs you, the sooner he will let go when he doesn't. hold him and keep him close. reassure him you will be there. after a few days, start playing peekaboo games with him. first a few feet away, then a little farther, then around the corner, then wait a little longer to pop out. you get the idea.
    some people are tempted to hardball the kid, make him stay alone till he stops, but this is just showing him that his needs aren't important to you, and that he can't count on you.
    I know its hard but this experience halps lay the foundation for independence and self-sufficiency. the more assured your child is that when he needs you, you will be there for him, the easier it will be to do things himself.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• In what way? There are many ways that children express anxiety. Including tantrums, anger, talking back, hyperactivity, sleeping too much or too little, eating too much or too little..ect. And at what age are we talking? There are many things parents can do to help their children over come anxiety. Anxiety is a normal feeling and it is unrealistic to think a child will never feel anxious. The key is to help children learn to cope with anxious thoughts or anxiety situations in a way that is more realistic and appropriate. So depending on the age and the situation then a parent has lots of tools at their disposal.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I agree with the first poster...I have three girls and all three of them went through this. Against all motherly advice I received unsolicited I must say...I kept them very close to me. When they felt ready to venture out on their own, I happily let them go. They are now 3 independant young ladies and I have never ever regretted my decision. As infants, I held them all the time and cuddled with them. In fact, they still cuddle with me each and every morning as we all wake up to start our day. This is so important for their well being and builds their self esteem! I hate it when people say you will spoil a baby if you hold them all the time. Children are so many times set aside and picked up whenever the adult deems they feel like it. This is so sad....

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2008