Teas?!

I know there are some teas your not suppose to drink when your pregnant especially the caffeneited teas. Are there any teas that are decaf that I can drink and wont harm my baby? What about ginger tea? for when my stomach gets upset?!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 1:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Ginger tea is perfectly fine, as is anything else that contains ginger.
    Peppermint tea is also really great for pregnant women, that might settle your stomach as well. I drink it just cuz I like it =3
    Here's what babycenter.com says about herbal teas:
    "How can I tell which herbal teas are safe to drink during pregnancy?

Although no U.S. regulations specifically address herbal teas, most of the herbs the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers safe for food use are presumed safe for teas as well. For example, teas made from ginger, lime blossom, peppermint, roasted barley, rose hips, and thyme are probably safe to drink occasionally in small amounts while you're pregnant or nursing. However, drinking excessive amounts of any teas can cause health problems for you and your developing baby."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Stay away from Green tea it hinders the absorption of folic acid and can cause birth defects.

Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 1:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Sorry Ginger tea and peppermint tea are both fine for settling your stomach.

Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 1:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• "Which teas are not safe?

Many of the herbs used for teas, when taken in large or medicinal amounts, can potentially stimulate the uterus and induce miscarriage. These include anise, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, ephedra (called ma huang in traditional Chinese medicine), European mistletoe, hibiscus, horehound, Labrador, lemongrass, licorice root, mugwort, pennyroyal, raspberry leaf, rosemary, sage, sassafras, stinging nettle leaf, vetiver, and yarrow.

Although some midwives use raspberry leaf (also known as red raspberry leaf) to aid delivery, its effectiveness hasn't been proven. In any case, it should be used only near term and under the supervision of a healthcare professional. Avoid the rest of the herbs in this list during pregnancy and lactation."
    caitxrawks

• "Note: You can still eat food that contains herbs like rosemary and sage, because the amounts used in food are generally much smaller than those used in tea — and not as potent (the brewing process for making tea concentrates the chemicals of the herbs).

Among other reasons to avoid certain herbs used in teas:

• Coca (also known as mate de coca) contains small amounts of cocaine.

• Comfrey, kava root, skullcap, valerian, and woodruff may damage your liver.

• Lobelia contains nicotine.

• Mate (or yerba mate) can contain as much caffeine as coffee.

None of these herbs should be taken while you're pregnant or nursing."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Wow, when I was pregnant, I ate whatever I wanted, drank lots of caffeine, probably got a Perm or two, maybe even colored my hair. My kids were just fine and my grandkids are just fine. So, I guess that is some proof that this stuff about what not and what to do is a bunch of garbage. I really can't say about the great grandkids yet though LOL!
    Anonymous

• i drank the red raspberry to try to get things going and nothing happened. i still had to be indued. also the herbs in these teas are so small that it really doesn't effect you.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 7:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2008