Is a college degree important? Will you encourage your children to attend college?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in

• Of course it is, and yes I will.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Of course. I don't think you can get a job without one. A bachelors is the very least degree you should have.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Very important. All you have to do is look at the unemployment rate for college grads vs non college grads. My kids don't think they have a choice about going to college - even at their ages they talk about "when" they go, not "if"

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont know in this day and age if it is as important as it used to be. I am a graduate and cant find a job, and I know I am not the only one. I will always encourage to continue education though, not for the career or job, but because we should never stop learning. I tell my kids all the time I know they dont want to be "big dummys". They just laugh.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think so and I will most certainly encourage her to go to college. And hopefully by then I will have "brainwashed" her enough to want to go to Pitt because that's the school I wanted to go to forever but since I had her so young I chose to go to a university close to home.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I believe college is VERY important and will definitely encourage our DD to attend college...even if it's just for a diploma or certificate...it's something that you have that will get you a step ahead of those that do not...which equals better jobs, better pay, and more job security.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It depends on what they want to do with their lives. Obviously if they're interested in pursuing a specific professional career like teaching, nursing, veterinary medicine, etc then I will do everything I can to support and encourage.

However, I think there are people who achieve success by their own measure and happiness without a college degree. I know several wealthy small business owners who are high school grads; they have a special entrepreneur's brain. I would love if my kids went in that direction too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It all depends what that degree will be in and they already want to go.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Absolutely. These days everyone needs not only a college degree, but does best with a secondary degree as well. I would never allow my children to not go to college. That would be unacceptable.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes and yes
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011