Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex waited until our daughter was with him to email me and say he is not returning her at the agreed upon time. What can I do? Its Thanksgiving Day. I am the custodial parent.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Each state is different here in Wa you would have to document the issue and then take him to court ....for contempt of court since I am assuming you have a parenting plan which states when he is to pick her up and return her...keep the email and email him back stating that per the court order he is to have her returned by such and such time or you will be contacting your atty Monday morning and filing charges. Im sorry to hear about whats happening esp during the holidays.

    Answer by mamakirs at 1:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • yes tell him he will face a contempt fine and my be ordered to pay your attorneys costs hugs Im sorry to hear you are having a bad day


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • If you have a document (court order) stating you are the custodial parent and that he is to return her, call the police. They will make him. They will enforce the document.


    Answer by Babylove76 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • Well first of all think about the child and not yourself. Does your daughter want to stay there longer ,are you just pulling this card to get what you want?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • Yes, you are within your rights to call the police. I had this happen to me years ago on christmas eve. Get out your court document and call the police. They'll pay him a visit.

    Answer by lilmizmoore at 2:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • You could have the police intervene but that would be very dramatic for you child. I would document the situation and next time be very specific that you are comming to pick her up at .........time and expect her to be ready. This way you are in control of when she comes home. If you think that he is not going to return your child then of course you need to call the police ASAP. And if you feel like you are threatend or that your physically unsafe by him then it may be in your best interest to exchange your child at the police station with specific times and the police are aware of the exchange and can have an officer over see it. Unfortunately it happens all the time. I hate this for your child the most.

    Answer by frogdawg at 6:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • Call the police and ask them

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • Call police asap!!!

    Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • If you are in Texas they will not intervene they will go see him and say that there are court orders that he is supposed to have her at certain times but they will not force him to give her to you. I know from experience.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

  • As per the police in the majority of the states the police will not or rather cannot do anything as it is a civil matter....please keep us posted.

    Answer by mamakirs at 11:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.