For those who know more about fitness than me lol

Ok, my workout plan is to do yoga everyday, at least once a day (maybe morning and night, though), and do a couple of Shape workouts from Netflix every other day. I've already been eating well, cut out most soda and other junk foods, etc. I've lost 7lb since the beginning of February and a few inches from all over, as well, and that was just by being a little more active and watching what I was eating. What do you think? Good plan? Bad plan?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Whatever works for you is a good plan. :) For me I started small with the exercise and just added more difficult workouts the more in shape I got.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you want to avoid a plateau the you should seriously consider some strength training and some serious cardio. They work hand in hand in weight loss- as you build muscle you will burn more fat in cardio. Cardio should be at least 30 minutes of having your heart rate elevated and keeping it elevated. By doing strength training before cardio you will be able to burn more calories more efficiently as well as deplete the glycogen that is stored in your muscles during strength training.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• mcginnisc said pretty much what I was going to. Yoga is great for toning, balance, and flexibility, but not so much on calorie burning and heart pumping. If you really want to see a big change in your body, start adding in some vigorous cardio a few times a week for at least 30 minutes (and plan on building on to that) and doing some strength training a couple of times a week.

The thing about fitness is that you have to continue to build on it all the time or you will just...stagnate. You'll plateau on your weight loss and your abilities. You have to change things up and push your body to keep from getting into a rut. Plus, as you get closer to your target weight, the pounds will be harder and harder to lose.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yeah, got the strength training and cardio covered with the non-yoga workouts I mentioned :)
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You mean the Shape workouts? Sorry, I didn't know what that was. Still don't, but I guess it's cardio and weights? :-) If so, then yes, your plan sounds like a good one as long as you don't get burned out, especially on the yoga if you're trying to do it once or twice a day. I'm not big on yoga though, so I'd probably tire of that rather quickly, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• LOL I have several workouts here and tons on my DVD list for Netflix, and I'll be buying a couple more with my taxes. They're all similar, but mixed up enough so that once I start to get bored with one, I just switch to the next one, and so on. Plus, several of them have different levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced), so by the time I get back around to one, I'm ready for the next level. Or I will be lol. I haven't made it to a more advanced level with any yet.

And yes, Shape workouts kinda like the Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels ones, only I like them more because they challenge me, but I don't feel like I'm going to die and hate exercise for a month after doing it lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I hear ya. Nobody wants to do a workout they hate. You just won't stick with it if you don't like it. My favorite series is Turbo Jam and I swear those things saved me. I used to just walk all the time, which really doesn't burn THAT many calories and gets really, really boring to do every single day by yourself. It was so awesome to find a set that I loved and actually looked forward to doing. I've been doing Turbo Jam for over 3 years now, and I'm still not sick of it at all! (I do mix it up with swimming, jogging, yoga, weights, etc)
    I am not a fan of Jillian Michaels workouts--I don't mind her and can appreciate her no-nonsense, no-excuses style, but the workouts themselves? BO-RING!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If it works it sounds great. I use some of the workouts on Netflix too. And I have wii fit and EA Active which I like too.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• sounds like a good idea to me....
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011