Does your 3rd grader do this?

My son is terribly moody and HATES to do anything we ask him lately; alot of times he comes home and sits on the couch like a lump till we have spoken to him several times about something.

And when we ask him what is going on or what is bothering him he just shrugs his shoulders and says I don't know. How do we get him to open up and talk to us?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have twin boys that are 9 and in 3rd grade and one of them does this but not the other.... of course I ask whats wrong but I never push it, especially if his brother is around, but I will make special time with just him so he knows that I'm there and that he can talk to me about anything
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 7:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have a third grader and I do think there are some changes hormonally taking place at this time. However, if this is becoming consistent behavior for your child I think I would contact his teacher and just find out if everything is going smoothly in school. If there is something going on at school and he isn't sharing it with you, this is a quick way to get to the bottom of it so you can nip it in the bud.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• teacher says he is doing great at school wants to help others is always offering help or offering something of his when the other kids don't have it willing to help the teacher whenever asked everything it is just when he gets home it is like he turns into a totally different kid
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have a 3rd grader also. When she gets off the bus the first thing she does is lay around on the couch or recliner but never anything out of the ordinary. She said she likes to rest from a hard day lol. After a bit she gets up plays and does her homework. But she does talk to me more and more lately. At this age I have noticed they are going thru alot of changes. The little boys are beginning to like the girls and like wise the girls. Mine is having a few problems with a new boy that just transferred to her school in her class. She talked to her teacher herself tho before I could. Good luck I hope you find out the probelm
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My daughter will be 10 in May and for the last year seems to have gotten increasingly moody. She does fine at school and her behavior is GREAT with teachers, friends' parents, etc...it's just at home there seems to be some sullenness, and eye-rolling, and huffy responses sometimes. I remind her that she needs to be respectful, even if she doesn't feel like talking. With my daughter, I do feel like it's just her age, and her wanting to kind of break away and start becoming her own person, as opposed to just doing what she's told all the time.
    Hang on tight, the adolescent years are a-comin'!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it's the age. My oldest is just like that and then some, and my mom says I was the same way, starting at about the same age (9/10).
    Anonymous