Cells phones for kids

whats the right age for a cell phone? My DH wants to get his DD (11) (my Stepdaughter) one but i totally object heres why. 1.she never goes any where...where theres not a phone
2.shes not responible at all. 3.She was told she could possibly get one next yr (6th grade) if she does good in school this year. 4.Shes getting D's in school and wont do anything that has to do with school (ex. homework study etc.) unless we say it like a hundred times. 5.DH says if she continues to do bad he will take it away and why should we have to pay for a phone thats not being used when we are living pay check to pay check right now
6.shes still to young in my eyes.
how do i convice him she doesnt deserve one or should I just keep my mouth shut and let him go ahead and get her one?

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 1:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• there is a HUGE debate about this going on right now.. check through the recently bumped questions.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont see a problem getting her one. My sons 11 (just turned 11) and we got him one. Its just one more thing I can use to take away as a punishment. I would however look into a pay as you go phone. I got him a Virgin Mobile phone. We pay $25 a mth. He gets 300 min a month, and unlimited text and web.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• prepaid mayb if they done chorus to pay for it but i would prob wiat till they drive wats the need for 1 right now besides something to get them in trouble with.
    kolbysmama20

Answer by kolbysmama20 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i have no intention of my son every having a normal cell phone while in my home even as a teen. his job in life is school. not the distraction and social issues of cell phones. he might get a disney type when he is about 12. 5 preset numbers, no texting no camera no extras
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• A pay as you go would be the best plan at her age, but I would link it to her bringing her grades up. Like if she brings all her grades up to a C, or B then she can have a phone. Why give her a phone if you're just going to have to take it away as soon as she gets it?
    My kids won't be getting one until they are going places unsupervised and I want/need to get a hold of them or they need to call me for a ride. They are 9 and 11 and tell me all their friends have one, but I just don't see the need yet.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am not sure when we will let our daughters get phones, but it might be when they have after school jobs. I need to make sure they can be responsible before they get that type of item. Plus, seeing kids text all day is one of my pet peeves. I would sit down and talk with him and list all reason you feel she's not ready, but highlight the financial part. When paycheck to paycheck (and we've been there) such luxuries aren't needed, especially when they are for an 11 years old.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 1:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What are his reasons for wanting to get her one?

If it's something she really wants, insist that she get her grades up BEFORE getting one.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My step had one at 8, broke it. still paying on it. and now has another one with pics, video's etc. NOT responsible enough to keep up with it between our house and her moms... always an excuse to add one more thing to the nightly routine... running back out (at times to get it). RARELY USES THE THING.. always uses her moms or dad's cell to call her friends. IS NEVER ANYWHERE to where there is not an adult anyways.

and I don't think children should having adult things at this age.... grades arent great, focus should be on what work they "forgot" to bring home from school. and less on distractions such as the phone. its a waste and something else they get for doing poorly in school. to where we are still having to go back and get it cause ohhhhhhh I forgot it...
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• the reason he says is so he has something to take away when shes doing bad....It makes no since to me
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son is 12 and we have a pay as u go phone. we have had it for a year and he only has it when is going somewhere without me. otherwise it is in my possession. at this age they really just want to be able to say they have one. they don't need to text anyone yet and why encourage them to not have real conversations. I will say that my 16 year old daughter has had one since 6th grade (given by her father-my x) it is nothing but problems. she has lost too many to count, broken them because she wanted a new one. His thought was that she would talk to him more. it is the opposite and the phone is in his control. THe x factor is the real problem.
    Children needs rules, challenges etc. Cause/effect. good grades=reward. but stick to it. my 16 year old has a laptop and as long as she is honor roll she can use it anywhere but if the grades sink it lives in the great room where i am. needless to say she has only lost it one semester
    ebcooks

Answer by ebcooks at 2:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011