Is this normal for a 22 month old? To LICK EVERYTHING???

I babysit a girl that licks everything.handles,pictures, the refrigerator, all the toys,books,paper..you name it, she has licked it.
Its really gross and I think thats part of the reason shes sick all the time..can you imagine all the germs she must be putting into her body. ew.
I know its normal for babies to put things in thier mouth. But I have a toddler and she doesnt do this..she stopped a little while after she turned 1 of putting anything and everything into her mouth. But is it normal at THIS age...22 months? Almost 2 years old?
I'm always telling her, " Thats not for your m outh sweetie" and I take it and wash it...or take her away from whatever it was she was licking.Her mom and dad thinks this is normal and never tries to stop her from doing this,and I almost think thier giving me an attitude about correcting her.
I was thinking it could be "PICA" but not sure...I mentionede it to her mom and she just laughed.
But I'm serious! I think this girl has a problem..but then again, I could be wrong..does any of your kids do this? Do they eventually stop? Am I looking too much into it? Or could this be a true problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd used to just pick stuff up, eyeball it, and put it into her mouth to take a taste. But she stopped this well before the age of two. Obviously, the oral stage probably ends at different times for different kids but I wouldn't think this is normal. Maybe not necessarily a sign for worry at this point, but I don't think most kids at 22 months are still exploring everything with their mouths. Maybe don't mention it to the parents for a few weeks but keep correcting the child gently, and then when it comes time for her 2 year visit ask the parents to consider mentioning this habit to the pediatrician based on the fact that it could be a sign of an issue that is better to have addressed early on. It might be nothing but better safe than sorry.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• mine does.. mouthy baby...
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I know it is yuck but some kids are more oral than others. It is pretty normal that everything goes in the mouth. About the germs, just think of how great her immune system will be..lol
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• None of mine ever did that, so it doesn't sound like a normal behavior to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011