Should I ask the daycare teacher about this?

My daughter is 2.5 and the past few days she's been doing this thing (kinda hard to explain over the computer but I'll try) she does like this clicking noise with her mouth (meaning an UGH or pssh) and rolls her eyes and sometimes has her hands on her hips. I never do this and neither does my SO. She has such attitude when she does this and it's really annoying. First couple of times it was kinda funny, but not so much anymore.

The only possible explanation for this is seeing this is at daycare because she is only around us most of the time. I'm not sure if it's her teacher or who it is, but I can't stand my child doing this anymore.

Do you think I should ask the teacher about this? And how do I go about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would assume its another child doing it and she picked up on it. as for talking to the teacher, i don't think it would do any good.. that's the downside of putting your child in public settings with other kids, they pick up ALL the bad manners and nasty attitudes to bring home to you.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would ignore it. Those things will come and go. The more attention you give it, the longer it will last.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ask her about it, but do it in a way that you are asking her to help you correct it in your child. Not in a blaming sort of way.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 2:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Um, normal, talking to daycare about it isn't going to get her to stop. Every kid eventually gets that "attitude" and does something like that.
    Anonymous

• Ok, so I'll keep it to myself and we will just work on her not saying it.

BUT look at it this way......if you sent your kid over to a friends house for playdate and she/he came back with some attitude they picked up...wouldn't you be a little upset???

Same thing with me. I know it's daycare and these things happen but at the same time, they shouldn't be allowed to do this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• When she does it I would say something like "That is sassy and I don't like it" and then walk away from her. I would ask your daycare provider if she notices it, and to address it if your daughter is doing the same thing at daycare. But she could have picked it up anywhere, really. Kids don't have to see a thing more than once or twice to turn around and imitate the behavior so she could have seen it from a family member, at the store, on tv, or at daycare. At the end of the day it doesn't much matter where she picked it up, you are going to have to teach your dd that you don't like her doing it, and it will not be the last thing she picks up on somewhere else that drives you nuts. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Do you think I should ask the teacher about this? And how do I go about it?

YES ask the teacher. Tell her that you don't like what your child is doing. I promise the teacher will ease your concerns.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think you should address it with the daycare, not as an accusation type way but let her know you don't like the behavior and it is discouraged at home--maybe even ask about it as if you are asking for advice, does she see this behavior and how does she handle it
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think addressing it with your daughter will be more effective. Just let her know you don't like the behavior. All kids are going to get that attitude eventually.Be thankful that she isn't cursing, or hitting others.. it may be annoying but it's just a clicking sound and an eye roll.. she is going to be doing that when shes a teenager... ( times like 10!)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 5:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011