• In the Spotlight:

Okay why did i just find out that it's suggested you have to have your kid

your 2 to 4 year old kid in a carseat that is rear facing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• The AAP now suggest keeping them rear facing until 2.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• sounds dumb to me. mines two and faces the front!!
    kolbysmama20

Answer by kolbysmama20 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I heard it was only until they are 2 and it doesn't seem very comfortable if you ask me. Someone on here posted a picture of their kid and the legs were stretched up the seat. How is that comfortable. I'm just wondering if it is a suggestion or if it is the law now.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I heard that too! Thank goodness my child is 3 and no longer requires a car seat!!!!
    Anonymous

• Because companies want to be able to make more money selling you rear facing seats for bigger kids!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Hey anon - In addition to raking in the cash by telling parents to keep them rear facing, the law also requires that kids are in seats until they are between 6 and 10 depending on the state. RIDICULOUS!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Mine two youngest are rear facing- they are 2 and 4 :) They are not uncomfortable at all- my 4 year old says it's more comfy that way.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Unless you're new to Cafemom or have visited with blinders on, you would have seen all the posted research stating that it is safest for a child to be rear-facing for as long as possible. It has just recently been suggested by APP to rear-face until the age of 2 instead of only until the age of 1.

In my state (OH), it is law to rear-face to the age of 1 and booster/car seat until the age of 8.

My daughter was rear-facing until 2-1/2 years and is 5 now and still in a 5-point harness. Sure, she'd rather be free and not buckled in in the backseat, but I do what is safest for my child, not what is more convenient for me or comfortable for her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I recently saw that too on the news. They are now reccomending rear facing to the age of 2 and kids up to the age of 12 should be in a booster seat.(12 and/or 4 ft 9 inches) My 11 year old that is 4'8 wasn't too happy about that one,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The height (4ft 9 inches) kind of makes me laugh since I am only 4ft 10 1/2 inches. My poor kids may never get that tall with the height in our family! lol
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011