Does anyone have children with mirsa?

my daughter came up with a mirsa bump alittle before she turned one and it was horrible. It got so big and she was in and out of the hospital they almost lanced it open and after that first time she would routinely get bumps in her diaper area(all of the bumps after the first time were never as bad) no matter how much antibacterial soap i used or how many bathes she had with bleach. she had the nose swabbs with the bactriban and everything. now shes 3 and a half and hasnt had a bump since she was in diapers(about a yr) but while i was pregnant with my son they said i came up with mirsa in my urine(which i didnt even know you could find it that way). so i thought i had it. well once my son was born we were both tested and i came up negative and i know they tested him but never told me the results so im guessing he came up negative too. My children are 20 months apart and when he was again almost a yr he got a bump on his finger and he had to go see a wound specialist and they cut it open. my poor boy was in bandages for weeks and they said the infection almost got to his joint. it cleared up fine and then acouple of months ago he got another bump on his leg and they thought it started eating away at his calf muscles. he was limping and black spots were coming out of his wound once it started to drain. i was just trying to find some similarities in cases because my kids are total opposites with the infection. ayana used to get them all the time and like i siad after the first time they werent that serious but my sons only had them twice in almost two years and they scare me everytime. im not big on consistantly giving antibiotics for every little thing so with ayana they siad that if i didnt feel she needed the septra i dikdnt have to give it them so i wouldnt and she was always fine. but with him hes on it for weeks. like i said does anyone have kids with similar situations. it seems mirsa is so different in people and i want to know if thers something i can do besides what i posted to make sure my boy doesnt get anymore?

adriana1024

Asked by adriana1024 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like the kids are contracting MRSA from something they're coming into contact with. Are they in daycare perhaps?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• well my daughter came up with it right afte we got out of the hospital with her and conveniantly that same hospital was fighting a mirsa outbreak and i didnt know it untill after. and im almost positive my son got it from me or ayana but i dont have any proof. and no there not in day care so the only thing i can think of is me or my daigter for christian
    adriana1024

Comment by adriana1024 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My daughter has it.. she's 19 months old. The dr said she got it from taking so much antibiotics as an infant.. :( She still suffers from getting them and she had to have 1 lanced open.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• oh.. even if it doesn't show up for years you still have it.. my DF has it as well he got it from a spider bite that turned bad... he still gets them coming up.. and he'll go months to years without them.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My daughter has had MRSA- People really freak out about the hospital version. But I have seen infectious disease specialists and was really informed on the "community version".. It still amazes me that MRSA is on everything. My DD's would only flare up on her butt. She had to have one of them lanced open before when it got really bad. But hasn't had any flare up's in almost 2 years. Ever since she was potty trained actually!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• see that seems like the kind my daughter has. it was almost ALWAYS in her diaper area and once we started potty training shes never had another one. unfortuanitly they were pretty common for her but my son has only had two and they are always scary cases and i just dont understand why theres such a difference in the two of them. would you be able to explain what your dr. says about the difference in the community type and the hospital version. unfortuanitly i have never heard of there being such a difference. most of the people i talk to around here are not to knowledgable about it. my pediatrician has explained it to us but i think my children are some of the worst cases they've had.

adriana1024

Comment by adriana1024 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2011