Vegans - Is it possible to be Vegan and shop at Walmart or Meijer?

I am doing research on introducing some vegan changes into my lifestyle, but also toying with the idea of becoming completely vegan. I have quite a bit of research to go and this is apart of it. I live in a small Mid-Michigan town without any direct access to Whole Food Stores. The closest is 20-25 minutes away, which is quite a commute for a few groceries. Therefore, I'm wondering how many of you buy at places such as Walmart or Meijer and are sitll Vegan? (Or even Semi-Vegan)

Please feel free to share with me your struggles, your success, your recipes, and any other information you'd like to share. Thanks for your help!!

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 1:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Health

• Sure can. We only shop at Walmart and Kroger. Sometimes you get lucky and find farmers market or something.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes you can. My 17 yr old is vegan. I am not per say. I do however cook dishes for him and we do them a couple times a week so he can try different things. He I would say is not 100% vegan since he relies on me still for cooking lol, but I get ALOT of his food at Walmart and just any other grocery store in town. I am in a super small town.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm not vegan but someone I know is vegetarian. Vegans don't even wear leather....no eggs, no milk, etc. If I were you I would start by eliminating red meat and cold cuts. Try to eat chicken or fish or turkey 3 times a week small portions. Eat grains, leafy, fruit, and lots of uts if you're not allergic. Ask your doctor about supplements and vitamins for vegetarians. Good luck....you are going to need it. lol
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• lots of uts

I meant lots of nuts

MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Thanks Ladies! I've been doing a lot of research on Vegans and their lifestyle. I'm apart of http://www.thekindlife.com/ which is headed by Alicia Silverstone who is a strict Vegan.

JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011