Is it faux pas for the child's grandma to have baby shower?

My husband thinks it is, but in my experience that's the way it's done. I would think it would be far more tacky for the mother-to-be to have her own baby shower. What do you think?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• For your mother to hold your baby shower? That is very common. My mother held mine. There is nothing wrong with that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Its common. My mil gave me my shower last time. One time with my ex his mom actually had her OWN baby shower for my son after he was born because I was in the hospital and he was so huge nothing fit. They all got together and gave her baby gifts for me, and she acted on my behalf. I dont see anything wrong with it.

Answer by gemgem at 1:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I believe "officially", it has to be given by friends, not relatives. Same with a bridal shower. But then again, who really cares? I don't think anybody would be offended if the grandmother hosts the baby shower....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The grandmother is SUPPOSED TO hold the shower! The mother should never have it herself!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• "Offically" it shouldn't be given by either grandmother, but aunts and cousins are okay. In actually practice lots of mom's are throwing their own showers. So anytime mom isn't throwing her own shower it is okay by me.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Thanks, ladies (c: Glad to know it's pretty common.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Around here, it wouldn't be okay for a mother or grandmother to host the baby shower. It's always given by friends or not at all.

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think the whole thing that it has to be a friend rather than the grandmother-to-be comes from older ettiquette rules, but these days I think most people consider it perfectly acceptable for the shower to be hosted by anyone other than the mom-to-be herself. My mom hosted my baby shower, and she co-hosted my sister's bridal shower. And my MIL hosted her daughter's shower as well.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think it's tacky. My mom did mine.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes, it is very common. I think your husband is confused with a bridal shower. Yes, it is traditionally rude for the mother of the bride to throw the bridal shower, but a baby shower is fine. To be honest, I feel as long as the person isn't throwing it for themselves, it is fine.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011