Anyone else terrified of the dentist?

I have an awful toothache. I went to urgent care over the weekend thinking it was a combo of sinuses and teeth. Nope, just teeth, no sinus infection. So they gave me some tylenol with codeine until I can get in at the dentist. I have to call the dentist today to get an appt. I just called and they are on lunch break. Just calling the dentist makes my heart race. And of course they are out to lunch and I have to do it all over again! lol I had 5 teeth pulled when I was 7, while awake, and ever since then I just freak out. Hence why I have the toothache, I don't go to the dentist like I should. I have bad teeth in general. Growing up (and still) I would brush and floss all the time and still have a million cavities and my brothers would have none and they hardly would ever brush their teeth. Ugh, okay, guess I am done ranting. Thanks for listening. Now say a prayer for me as I go and call the dentist again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Health

• I can't stand going to the dentist either! Completely freaks me out! I am just like you! lol I have had so many root canals done, its not even funny! My teeth have cost me a lot of money/! My parents when I was younger never took us to the dentist on a regular schedule so goes to show why they are so bad, plus I drink pop like crazy! It has taught me tho to take my kids to the dentist all the time so they don't end up like me! I wish you the best and know what you are going thru! I always tell people that I would rather have a c-section then go to the dentist! lol Hugs mama!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• YES! Im a big chicken when it comes to the dentist..and a couple of my teeth have suffered because of my fear,lol.But you know..that damn dentist..they fforget that your teeth and mouth are attached the the face and head of a real live person! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yep yep, hate to go, thats why my teeth are rotting out of my head. I had a bad experience when I was 19, which is why I hate to go! My kids are the opposite, they love to go, even when they need to be worked on!
    Anonymous

• that is the same thing i got with my teeth ... no matter how many times you clean them they still seem to get cavities.. i have had 3 root canals.. an need another ! ... i refuse, just talking about the dentist makes me want to throw up!! .. i bring my kids every 6 months even when they go i have a hard time haha!! .. they love the dentist... good luck!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No, i think people just overreact. If you go to a reputable dentist, you should be OK. I am so comfortable with my dentist and almost fall asleep in the chair which is so comfortable. Good luck to you. you will be just fine.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am not, it is just one of those necessary things that needs to be done or the alternative is to loose your teeth and wear dentures, and that is the one thing I refuse to do. Now my husband is another story, I think his fear goes back to his childhood experience with one, he has been known to walk out of the dentist office wearing the bib!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i am not scared of the dentist as a person. but of the drills and pointy things going in to my mouth. oh god.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• NO I AM NOT. I GO EVERY 6 MANTHS.
    lelly1019

Answer by lelly1019 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Tiffany, lol, I told dh this weekend that I much rather be in labor than have this pain and have to go to the dentist!

Thanks ladies, I am glad that I am not the only one! I called my dentist and they do not take my new insurance! They told me to call my insurance and find a new dentist if possible! Goodness, now to start all over.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I hate going to the dentist. Now that we finally have dental insurance, and it's not great just decent, I make sure my kids get their cleanings done but I dread going. I make myself but I get so nervous I feel sick. Then it doesn't help that I had my last wisdom tooth extracted and that went badly. It was infected and I had no idea. I had been having discomfort but not pain so I was surprised to hear that.
    Anonymous