How can you tell your daughter "NO" if she tells you "NO"?

So my daughter has picked up saying no. How do I stop her from telling me no whenever I tell her no?

shelle21

Asked by shelle21 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't. Just remember, it's a stage. It will pass. She hears you say it, so she is repeating you. Try not to say it so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• With a louder voice showing authority, you tell her "NO, you do what I say".

Toddlers are very good at testing limits. It's all a part of seeking independence. But be firm in letting her know you are in charge. Else she's going to walk all over you.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• instead of telling her no.. tell her what she can do... but stick to ur guns. its a stage they all go thru.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Don't give her a question she can answer with no. Don't ask her do you want a cheese sandwich for lunch? Ask her do you want a cheese sandwich or peanut butter? Do you want to go lay down and read a book or play for 5 more minutes before naptime?
    Kids say no because they want control, so give them control in a manner that it makes sense.
    Also, to prevent you from having to tell her no all the time, use yes statements instead. Tell her "pet the dog nicely" instead of "no hitting", tell her "keep the marker on the paper" instead of "no drawing on the table" Limit your use of no and she will also.

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You just have to stay consistent, and be firm.. But try saying " We don't do __" isntead of no. They repeat everything! lol. Shes probably not doing it to tell you no.. shes just repeating what she hears.. so simply change what she hears :)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 6:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree with Kaiilala !
    I also think that maybe if she says "NO" next time say something like " Yep thats what mommy said...NO" or something to that effect. She might have to think about how to get around that one on her own :P
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011