Is this an easy fix?

I was unmarried when I had my now 5 year old son. I, of course, gave him my last name. Then a few weeks later we went down to the county office so he could sign the paternity acknowledgement form and be added as the father to his birth certificate. It wasn't until I tried to enroll him into pre-k last year that I saw his birth certificate has his dad's last name as his. This is something I do not remember agreeing to and find it as a complete shock. His social security card and medical insurance has my last name as his. He has only learned his last name as matching mine. I'm even married to a new man now and I kept my maiden name as my middle name just so my son and I still technically have the same last name. I want his name on his birth certificate to say my last name again. How can I easily make that happen? I'm in GA.

I'm not sure how daddy will respond to this if he even knows. He does semi-regular visits and has been his whole life. Will I need his cooperation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Baby Names

• It's not going to be easy. You need to consult a lawyer and see if this can even be done before your son is 18 and does it himself. 5 years have passed. If it was just a month after his birth, Id say it would be easy but not now.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• this one will be difficult but i cant believe no one in the social security office has caught onto it...or that you didnt have to show a copy of his bc for your insurance...unfortunately it may be easier to just change his last name on his social security card because you can show them his birth certificate but i would definitely go and consult a family lawyer because it may be easier than anyone thinks since it seems like a simple little mistake made by the office you went to in the beginning
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011