What do you think of this idea about God and Free Will?

God did not "Make" you anything except human. He chose your parents, He chose your color, He chose your gender ~ and then He gave you free-will. From there, what you are is of your own making.

NOTE: This is only about Spirituality.

I recently heard someone say that God *made them Atheist... and I thought "how can a God, that you deny exist, be responsible for anything in your eyes. If He don't exist, how did He "make" you anything?"

Doesn't having free-will ultimately make each of us responsible for every thing we do and say? And that includes "the devil made me do it' . LOL

I agree with the totality of this statement because I believe that each of us are given choice, in what we believe, how we believe and how we live. If we are mean, judgmental and nasty, it's because we choose to live that way - conversely if we are kind, generous and loving, it is also because we choose to live that way.

I guess there's a lot of confusion about stuff like this.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 2:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I recently heard someone say that God *made them Atheist... and I thought "how can a God, that you deny exist, be responsible for anything in your eyes. If He don't exist, how did He "make" you anything?"

I'm certain that if an atheist said that, it was meant as tongue in cheek.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I often wondered why so many who do not believe continue to go back to Biblical sources as to why they don't believe. lol
    anywhoooo......some people are born gay, some are born Atheist.....it is what it is I guess.
    My life is mine.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• "God made me an Atheist" -- now that's not something you hear everyday. LOL I completely believe in free will, and it sounds like this person is just trying to pass the blame for their own choices. To me that falls into the same category of the ones who claim "the devil made me do it".
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i agree. if the God doesn't exist, he can't give you anything or make you do anything, or cause things to happen or not happen. it'd be a moot point.

and xtian or not, everyone DOES have free will (volition) and IS RESPONSIBLE for their own decisions/actions/consequences of/etc. doesn't matter if you think you go to Heaven/Hell/Hel/Summerland/Disneyland/Dirt/Return after this life. no one but YOU are responsible for YOU.

that's all i have to say about that..gotta go pick up the ds from school!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I recently heard someone say that God *made them Atheist.

A joke? I get the free will to find it hilarious. Or NOT. Bumped ya.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• an Atheist would not state god made them anything, unless they were being facetious.
    I believe in myself and my choices. Some things we simply "are"...like my being straight vs. being gay...it's just who I am. People are born gay or straight, it's not a choice.
    I personally believe my inner spirituality was always there within me....it was just up to me to listen to my heart. So in that aspect I made the choice to go against the grain and listen to my heart instead of what everyone around me is.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Becasue there is not a singular description or definition of God (as it varied between not only religions but individuals as well) the subject of God given Free will is not a simple matter to discuss. You might agree with it based on some individual's description and disagree with another person's description.
    Personally as an atheist and not believing in God, it is clear that everyone has free will. They have no choice but to be responsible for their own actions. Some may agree with me while others do not.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Choices and free will..its all up to us for our own lives. How we choose to live falls soley on us. How and who and if we choose to worship anyone or anything is solely up to us. We all have the same options to choose from.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't define God the same way most others do, so it's probably hard to discuss free will in some ways. I don't believe in a personal, anthropomorphic God. I believe God is impersonal forces of Nature and that we are all interconnected and part of 'God' or the Universe. So, I don't believe in God-given free will. My belief is closer to Compatibilism or the idea that free will (or something similar to that concept) and determinism are not mutually exclusive.

"Buddhism believes in neither absolute free will, nor determinism. It preaches a middle doctrine called pratitya-samutpada in Sanskrit, which is often translated as "inter-dependent arising."

See the section on Buddhism for a little more information on Buddhism and a middle doctrine called pratitya-samutpada
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I will say it like this...god..aka the universe created life in a sense that it built the laws and natural ways (not laws like legal wise) he gave humans, animals and so on the right to reproduce and so here we are. We choose to do what we feel is right. We choose to believe or not believe.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011