My kid is a brat!

My toddler is turning into a bratty kid. He screams when he doesn't get his way. When I tell him not to do something he smacks me and yells "no!" How do I handle this? When we are at home I do time out, but even that doesn't seem to work. When we are out somewhere I have no clue how to handle it since there is nowhere to put him in timeout. It just seems like he doesn't take me seriously. We're taking a 6 hour plane trip in a few days and I'm terrified he will throw a screaming fit or start kicking and throwing things. I'm a 1st time mommy so please don't bash me for not knowing what I'm doing!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If that were my child a swat on the butt would be my solution. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Tried. Diaper in the way makes a great barrier, plus, I wouldn't spank in public.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I can only tell you what i went through with my son. in his toddler years he started pushing boundaries to see how much he could get away with, what where the limits of what i would allow. In public places we simply would leave if possible and just go home. He would lose the treat of being out at the store, restaurant, park etc. at home he would have quiet time instead. as a toddler when he hit, we would just keep telling him no, that hurts mommy/daddy , you don't want to HURT me do you and look all sad and teary faced at him. its a stage he will outgrow if you can make it through it being firm on how you handle it and stick to not allowing the bahviours. yes he will do them over and over and yes you will feel like you are going insane but at some point these behaviours will break honest. they do in most kids.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 2:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• When he smacks you, try holding his hands and talking softly while looking him in the eye and letting him know that it is not okay for him to hit Mommy when he is upset. Sometimes the physical contact (not rough, just a touch) and soft speech is enough to get their attention.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• brat?! maybe a bit too strong

a toddler aged child is testing his or her bopundaries, pushing the limits
    pushing all your buttons

very hard, but giving into a fitting toddler even one time in 40-50 atempts by toddler will let him or her know that...
    "Hey! it works!", and child will fit to get their way again and again and again until mom breaks down that once in a while

it is a stage (mine three and a half-i know!!)
    i try to ignore, stay strongand just say no, i do not go into much explaining, if she continues to fit for something, "I said no, and i am not going to change my mind"....saying thisoutloud reminds me too to not give in because of shear exhaustion-lol

good luck, when i am out and about with mine, she has fits too, will wave to you as both of ours are having fits/tantrums/and screaming at top of lungs=lol

hang in there!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You take the diaper off and then it is no longer a barrier. I have taken my toddler into a bathroom to give her a swat and get to straighten up. You have to put your foot down a be consistent with you punishments. Don't let one slide and not another. We are tough on our DD and she knows what is acceptable and what is not. We explain that it is disrespectful to speak or act certain ways. If you start today and are consistent with what ever punishment you choose then it should be in swing by the time you leave for your trip.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Terrible Twos, honey.Normal.It sucks..and it can be a "drive mommy to drink" type of stage,lol. You can try to divert his attention with other things when you are in public to avoid total meltdowns.Pack plenty of interactive types of things for him to do on the plane trip. Coloring,laptop,hand held vtech(education games),personal dvd player with some kid shows etc...
    As for working with him at home..whatever discipline you decide on, be firm,be calm,be consistant.
    Myself...I would maybe pick him up, put him in a highchair, strap him in and walk away for a couple minutes every time he throws a fit. Or something similiar to that. Try to stay calm and remind yourself this is normal..it really truly is.
    Good Luck mama...hang in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh my DD has had time out in Target, Meijer, at Grandpa's house. I will put her in time out anywhere. I just find a spot and make her sit there and I stand a few feet away so I can watch her of course. I do it just like at home, warning, sit her there, come over and tell her why and get an apology, etc. You can also take them to the car and put them in their car seat, close the door and stand outside the car. As long as you are right there in sight of the child that's ok to do. As for the airport, you can easily cart him off to a corner or up against a wall and make him sit his timeout. It's embarrassing, yes, but other mom's will understand and people who don't have kids have no idea how stubborn a two year old can be so let them think what they will. You have to show your kid that he can't be a brat at home or out in public and that you're not too embarrassed to give him the discipline he needs at the moment.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• How old is he? For the plane ride, if he's older than 2 he has his own seat..we recently flew and they were 4 hour flights both times,..the flight there dd was in her car seat, so she was strapped in and could do nothing..it's a plane, people will just have to deal or get over it..you can't exactly let them wander around..snacks are a good thing and most airlines will let you bring your own as long as they are sealed in the original package..and special toys for the flight work wonders/new toys for it.

It sounds like he's hit the terrible twos, and they suck! We spanked dd, who's turning 3 in June. I felt horrible about it every time, but it got the fits stopped. If we're out and she has a fit over something (if we're at a store) she goes in the cart and doesn't get a candy bar, or toy or whatever as a reward for her good behavior. Dd's gotten into the "why?!" thing..so when I tell her to do something it's always "why?"..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• .."Ugh, fine!"..shes got an attitude..any time she has a fit, I've looked back and realized there's always an underlying factor..an it was usually that she was tired..could there be an underlying issue like him being tired?..just a thought. Anymore we can tell dd before we go somewhere that if she acts like a big girl she'll get a reward...usually when we're out it's to target, so she'll get one of those dollar books..she's still learning what she can and can't do at home, but that's taking a little more time bc we just praise her for the good things she does..good luck! I know it's tough, but it is a phase, and if your lo is anything like mine, even with discipline, it's just something he'll have to grow out of.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011