How do I get rid of the swaddle?

I have twins that are 3 months old. My son has to be swaddled, and I mean HAS too. He wont sleep or even relax without being in a swaddle. I feel like he is to constricted. He plays on his floor mat for maybe an hour before I have to swaddle him back up again. Is it OK to keep swaddling him? or should I try and break it and if so How? My daughter hates to be swaddled she escapes. lol

amhartman0131

Asked by amhartman0131 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are still young. If he likes it, I would keep doing it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We swaddled until mine started to escape and was rolling over. Happened within a week of each other. We just didn't swaddle and took her paci at the same time. It was a HORRIBLE week, but I would go ck and do it again in a heart beat. It was the right time for us and it worked.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @ mompan. I don't really mind when he wants to be swaddled when he sleeps but he wont go more than an hour while he is a wake. I am afraid he wont be able to learn how to move his hands or roll over. I tried to substitute the pacifier for the swaddle (to comfort) but he wants nothing to do with the pacifier.
    amhartman0131

Comment by amhartman0131 (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Around 4 or 5 months we started swaddling with arms out. My twins continued "needing" to be swaddled for a long time. It became an important part of their bedtime routine. When they became mobile they would drag their blankets to the middle of the floor and try to swaddle themselves or each other when they were getting tired. We didn't completely get rid of the swaddle until sometime after 18 months, and one of my twins hit most milestones early and the other right on time. An hour at a time of awake non-swaddled time is plenty at 3 months. If your babies are both sleeping, you are doing great!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son was the same. He HAD TO be swaddled. I ended up swaddling him until he was about 5 months or so. It was whenever he was outgrowing the large swaddle blanket. I then just used a receiving blanket and would tuck it around his arms. He didn't have any trouble transitioning, and I only had to tuck the receiving blanket for a short time, maybe a couple weeks and then he didn't need it anymore. Love the swaddle blankets though! If they work at getting your son to sleep, I say keep doing it until he doesn't fit in it anymore. Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it should be fine...I mean, they're all "swaddled" in the womb, so this should be no different. They usually find it comforting. When the hospital swaddled my daughter, she loved it. Now, when I did it...she hated it LOL, I must have done it wrong. But as long as he's content, I don't see any problems!
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our son is a little over 2 months old & we had to buy a bigger sleep sack/swaddle to fit him as he will only sleep swaddled, in a swing or chair, or in someone's arms. I figure as long as he is happy sitting there &/or sleeping, all is well! Once he figures out how to roll over, we will figure something else out. Summer will be here soon & him getting too hot may make it easier to get rid of it, I figure :) (my husband, daughter & son all sweat in bed at night, while I freeze!!)

mama2mjanddj

Answer by mama2mjanddj at 11:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011