I'm still starving my son......please read this update

So yesterday I said I was starving my son because all he wants is junk and I'm not giving in...so he fell asleep at 6:30 last night and did not have anything to eat ...he woke up this morning at 7:30 and had 2 bites of his waffles

Are you sure he won't starve himself?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 3:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I make 3 meals for everyone. No more orders! I'm a mama not a restraunt cook! I give my son one cup of orange juice in the morning and that's it!!!! He gets water all day, and milk with dinner. No snacks! Yes he protested and cried and said it's yucky with out tasting it of course. I did lay it on thick that after dinner we would have some yummy desert and he couldn't have it till he ate. Also after lunch we would have pretzels or tortia chips after food/sandwich eaten. FINALLY my little one got hungry and eats! Whoohooo. Just stick to your guns and follow the same rules as your imposing. Now my son eats almost everything we eat! Yes he went to bed with out eating more times than I like in the begining but all worked out ! Hope this helps! I also got my kids juice plus. It's 17 fruits and vegetables in a gummy and that made a world of diffrence too! Good luck! Proud of you trying to change your son's diet!
    jdct

Answer by jdct at 9:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• positive. Promise 100%.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Does he like string cheese? Or peanut butter? Give him something healthy that he likes. You don't want this to become a battle with a winner and a loser.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, I've never read or heard of a child that age starving THEMSELF to death. I'd make sure he had nutritional drinks but still refuse to give him junk.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• how old is he? how about say "sorry you didn't like your waffles. what sounds nice for dinner?" and then "will you help me cook it?"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• texture themes and sensory issues are often confused w/ poorly trained palates. From the time a baby gets teeth it's fed purees. then puffs that dissolve. yogurt. applesauce. mushy bread. cake. bananas perhaps. and then grilled cheese, soup, noodles, canned things, processed nuggets. People are training their kids palates from birth to only tolerate eating mush that requires no real chewing. And then they're confused the kid wont snap into a carrot.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I know what you mean when you say all he wants to eat is junk. My 1y/o is the same way. But i have to be firm with him though other wise he wont eat dinner. You should try cooking things that he enjoys eatting. That what i do.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Nutritional drinks (unless prescribed by a dr) ARE junk. They're sugar and flavors and chemicals with vitamins added. If he gets a taste for them how can she ever expect to get him to eat a piece of grilled chicken, a sweet potato and some carrot coins as a normal meal?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, my sister had to go the hospital when she was 3 because she refused to eat. All my mothers friends swore she wouldn't starve herself. When she started fainting, mom brought her to the hospital.

So yes, they could push it that far. But, it would take a more like a week or longer. How about bribery? He could have his treat after he eats well. Or after he eats well, you will take him to chucky cheese.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Just as long as you keep him hydrated everything should be fine. He will give in.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 3:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011