The cat urinated all over my kids backpacks. What to do?

We got in the car and there was a horrid stench of cat pee. I was afraid it was our clothes but it turned out to be both back packs. Just drenched in urine. We had to return home, swap back packs, etc.

I have banned the cat from the house. I told my husband if he lets it in again I'll take it to the pound.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pets

• keep the cats outside.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Throw them away. My sons backpack had that happen, but the cat was outside and he had left it outside. We threw it out.

Answer by gemgem at 3:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Throw the bags in a plastic bag then throw them in the trash out of the house. Get the kids new bags. If you dont get rid of the entire smell of cat pee from something (you can scrub all you want but usually it still wont work) the cat most likely will pee on it again. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oops. I just put them in the washing machine.
    The cat did it inside so she got the carpet too. All I has was Simple Green so I attacked the carpet with that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• lol... get rid of the cat. It won't stop. You could ask the vet if having it deballed (fixed) would help but having to continuiously replace items that the cats pees on/ or sprays in not fun. even washing items doesn't get the smell completely out.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 3:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ditch 'em There is no hope
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree. This cat is gone. I put its food and scratch toy outside. I am done. I refuse to have my home stink of cat urine.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Gross. My cat also had a thing for luggage. Try washing them in the washing machine with a lot of detergent.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You probably won't be able to get rid of the smell, so I'd toss the backpacks. However, I'm not in agreement with keeping the cat outside, ESPECIALLY not if it was an indoor cat. Outdoor cats in general only live about 6 years, because of diseases, fights, cars, etc. And if a cat is used to being an indoor cat, it's just cruel to throw them out, they don't know how to survive... You might want to take it to a vet, if a cat starts peeing outside of the litter box, it's usually a sign of a UTI or something like that.

So if it already was mostly outdoors, fine (even though, like I said, I'm very much against that). But I still think you need to have it checked out by a vet...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's an outdoor cat, not even ours really, no idea who actually owns it. My husband was letting it sleep in the house for the winter but I am putting my foot down now. I don't own any furry animals and I won't start now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011