Belly ache?

my son is 3 wks old and i am breastfeeding but i have to supplement formula about 2-3times a day, usually in the evening and at night due to the fact that i do not produce enough milk and i do not want to take the meds that the dr prescribed due to the side effects . lately my son has been waking up screaming and also throwing up alot. (not just spitting up) do you think that it is the formula that is hurting his belly? i have tried 3 different types of formula the most recent one being enfamil newborn. he does throw up on just breast milk also so i am wondering if maybe he has reflux or something and if he does would that hurt his belly??

malleymom106

Asked by malleymom106 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would contact his doctor and i would tell him about it
    sweetangel8211

Answer by sweetangel8211 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree, call your pedi. Could be the wrong formula. Why do you have to supplement? Have you tried a soy fomula or one for a sensitive tummy?
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• And I am not judging for for having to supplement, I had to do it for a little while also. Doc recommended a soy formula because it is easier to digest.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would talk to his Pd. but in the meantime try making sure he's fully burped after each meal. Try using the football hold to help sooth his stomach. The football hold is when the baby is laying belly down on your forearm with their head on your hand. It worked wonders on my daughter. You can also take natural supplements that boost the amount you produce. My sister had the same issue and went to Mother's to ask for natural alternatives. I'll double check on the name and get back to you, but I'm sure you could research online, too. Good luck!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i would call the babys doctor
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• burp burp burp..lots of burps in. Sounds like acid reflux. My son has acid reflux and spit up alot..hes now 9 months and still spits up here and there. He was put on prevacid which the only side effect was diarrhea but I waited to give it to him for the same reasons but looked in to it and gave in @ 4 months bcuz the Dr explained that the acid can cause serious issues later on and you want to reduce that acid and he just fellt sooo much better. Talk to the Dr, make sure hes not overfeed, sometimes babies act hungry when their tummy hurts, dont keep switching his formula until you talk to the Dr, you can eliminate dairy to see if that helps, in the meantime keep lil guy in an upward position 30 mins after meals, I would elevate his crib a little bit too. My baby slept on my chest for the first 3 months cuz I was so freaked on him choking..heres a good website for more info http://infantreflux.org/ Good Luck!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2011