Would you let your MIL Take your 3-1/2 year old to a pool without you?

My MIL just emailed basically telling me she wanted to do this with our son within the next couple months.. I totally know we are over protective parents already but this freaked me out thinking of her taking him to a pool without me.. She watches him every other Friday ( by choice - I still pay for daycare so its just a want of hers ) from April to Sept.. he will be taking swim lessons soon and he LOVES the water so I know he'd have fun.. but my worry alarms instantly went off...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm with you OP. My MIL is WAY overprotective and watches my son like a hawk when she tends. But I really think I'd be a huge worry wart if she wanted to take him swimming. You should just invite yourself along. "Oh that would be so much fun, I'll meet you at the pool on saturday morning!"
    Thats what i would do :)
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 4:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Unless you think she's unreliable to supervise him..which you must not think that or why would you let her babysit...then I don't see the issue here.
    Anonymous

• I would not. However that's not a worry here since my MIL is not only a lazy biatch but never wants to do anything w/ the kids that involves movement or possible liability. This includes pushing them on the swings. Sit, eat, watch movies, be sedentary, etc.

I'd never let anyone but me and my DH be around water w/ them. My son once was at a beach w/ a daycare provider but it was a wading beach and it was mostly for sand play and a picnic
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont see the problem. My mil took my dd to carowinds and the water park when my youngest was that age, without me.

Answer by gemgem at 4:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• no one takes my kids to a pool unless im there
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yes. if i trusted ehr enough to watch my child weekly i trust her enough to take the child swimming
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Trust your gut. If you are not !00% comfortable with it than do not do it. There are plenty of other things that she could do with him. If you have an area with a splash pad without the pool then I would suggest that. I do not let anyone take my son to the pool without me.
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Nope! I dont allow my mil to be alone with my kids and they are 13, 8 and 5
    momto_3

Answer by momto_3 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you trust her to watch your child on these fridays each month than obviously she is someone you do trust. I would recomend a time limit. Give her an hour max of pool time and ask for a phone call before they leave the pool. So you "can ask your son how he liked it right after he experiences it with her" Dont let her know its a phone call to check that everything went well but yet a phone call to "see/hear his reaction"
    I am a mother of 3 and my 20 year old sister and her b/f took my 2 oldest to the pool a while back now, my oldest are 4 and 2 right now and believe me, it is a day they absolutly loved!!
    You have to let your kids experience outings with other people as long as you trust these other adults obviously. But that is how kids gain social skills with others other than mom and dad!! It also helps them gain trust in other adults like they do with mom and dad as well!!
    DMansMom005

Answer by DMansMom005 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would. YOur dh was raised by her and he is still alive.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011