Okay so my life just got worse...Now what?

Well, a little back history. DH was laid off 2 years ago. He replaced his job with a job at half the pay. Our home is now in the process of modification but it isn't going to go through. Well, I just got laid off. We now have a family income of 1,000 a month. Si we are loosing our house and have no income. Anyone else see the problem here? I am freaking out! I am terrified! I have had the same job for 11 years so who is going to hire me with no experience except in this one specialized field? I checked we don't qualify for TANF and our section 8 has a 2 year waiting list and the waiting list is closed. I could get food stamps but then what? Take them with me to the homeless shelter? What do I do?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• You should qualify for Tanf after being unemployed one month, which I know doesnt help right now. They go based off this month or last months income. So as soon as you are income free then you should go and apply. There are also programs to help move through social services. I know there is a once in a lifetime program that pays for you to move into a place (they pay dep and first month). You can also call around to churches, some of them keep places open for homeless families as well. They can also help some times with financial assistance if you need it. Most of the time you dont have to be a member. Again social services should have a list of organizations and churches that can help.

Answer by gemgem at 4:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Rent? Family? We were in the same situation, but we were lucky that our families could help. I hope you find the answers
    Anonymous

• Do either of you have anyt family you can think of to take you in temporarily?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• :( No idea what to advise, but good luck *sympathetic virtual hug*
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 4:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• So sorry for your situation. There are far too many people going through this right now. I'd say pray and work at what ever you can get. Don't be too proud to take any assistance that you qualify for. Good luck to your family.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm so sorry to hear of your situation! I don't know where you are located, but the company I work with is undergoing a massive expansion, maybe it could be something you are interested in. I hope you can find something in the meantime to help you out!
    spiderette33

Answer by spiderette33 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh Mommy... I am so sorry.... This brings me to tears... !!!~ *hugs*
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You can nanny. Babysitting pays a lot in some areas (here). What did you do before? What skills do you have? You can be a receptionist almost anywhere. If you can run a computer you can do that just to get moving. Check craigslist and the paper, Monster.com and all the rest. If you can type, you can get a job. Hang in there....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I just wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you. Hang in there. God doesn't give you more than you can handle, even though it may seem really tough right now. Put it all in his hands.

Best Wishes! ((hugs))
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'd try talking to friends, family, church...anything and just explore the options.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011