What to do if your 1yr figured out how to take out the safety plugs from the wall socket ?

Cabbage82

Asked by Cabbage82 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are a few differentr styles. We wound up buying another style that is clear, very flat, and very tight fitting. In "safe" areas like the bedroom, we actually covered up the outlets with duct tape.

You can also replace the socket with a special one that you have to twist open with the cord in order to use.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son did that so I just didn't use them. He didn't pay any attention to them after that. I also kept a close eye on him and he was very good about not touching things I told him not to touch.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We just quit using them. Lol. I just kept a closer eye on him, and made sure that he knew they weren't meant to play with. He goes back every once in a while.. but it's rare.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 5:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• There are the type that you have to squeeze to get off, they are a pain but the little one can't get them off yet.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• the squeeze ones seem like the best option
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our son did this and we just didn't make a big deal about it. We never had trouble with him trying to stick something in them. He just seemed to enjoy unplugging things...like the living room lamps. I rearranged the living room and ruined his fun.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• when we put the protectors in it seemed to attract him more so we just tried to cover all outlets with furniture and such to take his attention off
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Congrats on having a young engineer in the family. I would try a different type of plug and also make sure he learns not to touch them. Perhaps find him a toy of similar level of intrigue to distract from such a fun activity like those shape sorters where you put things in and pull them out.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2011