Why are people getting kids cell phones so young?

A walkie-talkie would be sufficient wouldn't it? They have long range ones...how far could a young kid go? Even when I was growing up parents were buying them for their elementary school kids! I didn't have one and still don't because they're bad for you...they break the blood-brain barrier in 2 minutes which causes radiation damage and tumors it really does lower the intellectual capacity also and slows them down making them slower to respond and gives them no reason to use proper English...I see more and more papers with text-speak :(

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 5:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know, right? My kids friends are 10 years old and all have one. I refuse to get one for my son. He is always with me, at an activity or at a friends house. I KNOW where he is so why the hell does he need a phone. Wth?
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My cousin has custody of her niece, well she went out an bought her a cell phone.......She was only 4 yrs. old the time. I told her she was nuts for doing so. There is no 4 year old that needs a cell phone.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I didnt have one until I was 16, and then I PAID for it myself. I dont understand why these kids need phones at 7... high school I can understand, before that, no reason.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have no idea! I just got a new Blackberry and my 8 year old gave a hugh sigh and gave me a list of his friends at school who all have cellphones (some of them, according to him, very pricey cellphones!) Apparently he is the last kid on earth without one. I asked what he would do with one, and he said "Call people." Can't he just do that from home?

Apparently even the teachers appear to expect the kids to have all sorts of technology... early in the year I told the same son's teacher that he was spending a couple hours a night doing homework, and she told me to make sure he's actually doing homework and not 'just messing around playing on the iPad.' Ummm.... he is 8. He does his homework with a pencil and paper! I don't even have an iPad, let alone him! She seemed taken aback by my pencil and paper comment!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Shrug. Not my kids so I don't care. None of my kids have one (they are 10, 9, 8 and 5). I don't think any of their friends have one. Her one friend came over after Christmas with something but she said it was just an ipod because she wasn't allowed to have a phone (she's 11).
    My kids are allowed to roam all over our neighborhood but they still have no reason for a phone. I didn't have one until I was in my late 20s and had been married 4 years and had 3 kids. I still rarely use mine. It hasn't even been charged in 2 weeks.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have 5 kids. My oldest dd got one at 15 but she paid for it on her own. My oldest son got one at 14, that his dad paid and still pays for. My middle son is now 17 & again dad got him one too and paid for it until my son had a job and wanted his own plan. It was a matter of convenience for their dad first and foremost. He lives 6 hours away, and he hated calling here and having to ask for them. Fine by me. My 11 yr old just got one for his 11th bday and its a matter of convenience again for me this time. He lives with his dad, and I can contact him whenever I want to this way myself. Its all of $25 a mth for unlimited text, web & 300 min so I am not out alot and he cant go over.

Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree with you on the 1st part,I see no reason what so ever that a kid that's like5,6,7,etc years old needs a cell phone,now the damage a cell phone can do sounds like cooky cook to me.
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My kids are only 3 and 18 months, but once they are in after school activities, they will have one, they have special ones that parents can input only certain numbers and those are the only numbers the kids can call.

Technology is the way of the future. My son is very tech savvy. He can work my blackberry torch, dhs atrix and iPhone, my iPad, his touch.... By the time he gets to school, most work will be done though some sort of technology. I dont see a problem with it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My niece got a cell at age 10. She walks to school, and texts her father when she gets there. It's all about safety and being able to communicate with her dad, who is on his way to work while she is walking to school. I think it's a good idea.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• *** She walks with friends to school, not alone. The school is 2 blocks away. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011