What would you do if a neighbor kid was bullying and hurting your kids when their parents don't care to do anything about it?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 5:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd watch and hover ever closer and then POUNCE at the first sign of bullying or hurting. I'd do and say whatever I could to scare the crap out of that kid; I would absolutely call the police and file a report. I would take charge and not care if the other parents were involved at all. Don't hurt my babies, don't mess with my kids....Watch out!!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Call the cops...file a report. You don't have to press charges, but you can have the police talk to the parents and maybe that will get them off of their tails to tend to their children.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If the parents don't care to do anything about it then I would go straight to the child and tell them that this is unacceptable behavior when it comes to your child and that you would never allow your child to do that to them.

If that doesn't work then I would not let my kids play with them or be around them. I know they are your neighbors but I had a similar issue with my next door neighbors when I was young. My parents wouldn't let me around them because they were extremely violent when they played. It was never anything innocent- it was always "We're going to tie you up and leave you at the park buried underneath some snow!"

Once it was established that we weren't allowed to be around each other it was pretty easy.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I called the police on my neighbors kids. They were mean to mine and one time threw a rock and hit my son on the head when he attempted to walk away from them (and not fight with them). The police came and took a report and referred them to juvenile court. The parents were forced to take parenting classes, kids got probation. They were relatively young. CPS also got involved and lo and behold there was neglect going on and they almost lost their kids. They ended up moving. I do not mess around with bullies or their parents.
    Anonymous

• Call the police, and make a report.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Call the law

Answer by gemgem at 5:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm in the same situation. My daughter is 4 and the neighbor is 5. She is so mean to my daughter and the parents don't care. We just stay away from them and her now. It's too bad since we are in close quarters but I can't come up with anything better.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• have you tried talking to their parents. if that doesnt work and they are hitting your children i would call the police and file a complaint on them.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Call the child's parents yourself,, tell them that if it doesn't stop you will ask for them to be placed on susupension,, god bless your little one, I had 2 older boys lock my son in is locker, and the teacher thought he was "making up" stories!!!! I would pick and or drop my kiddo off and sit in his class if you need to,, I did with my son,, LOL!! One of the bullies who did the locker thing said Oh,, that's Billy's mom and she does not mess around ,,,, LOL good luck and if you don't get results threaten police involvement!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Sorry... but if the parents wont tell the kid they are wrong.. then I WILL. I won't allow my child to be picked on like that. I understand that kids get picked on and thats just a part of life.. but no one should have to deal with constant teasing and bullying. Tell the kid whats up. Make him realize that HE isn't the boss... Of course in a respectful manner.. because after all you aren't his parent.. but since they aren't doing anything.. step in! For the safety of your kiddo.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 5:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011