How do you feel about the Cola being discussed all over the news?

Many of us have elderly family members, veterans, disabled in our families and I am curious as to how you all feel about the COLA being discussed on the various news programs. They will get an increase but Medicare premiums will take it and then some away. Our elected officials enjoy very nice hefty raises. Don't you think our seniors do also?????

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• DH has Medicare ~ and is required to have TFL. I only have Tricare. I'm in SC, and some docs love it, some hate it. If I was in the Charleston area it wouldn't be so bad, but the idea of leaving a hospital after major surgery and taking a 2 hour drive to get home really doesn't appeal. Been looking, and will continue to do so.

YSK, I do agree with you as far as the military goes, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of retirees are struggling. Not everyone retired today came from a two income family. Many women in particular never worked. They get a percentage of their husband's SS (frequently based on minimum wage), but it's barely enough to live on (or not enough). If they are renting, paying utilities, etc. they are (in this area) choosing between meds, keeping the lights on, or eating. Sucky choices when healthy young people are on FS, getting HUD and other assistance, and have never worked or done without.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am for military families being paid enough to keep them off food stamps before I am for a COLA for SS. SS is supposed to be a supplement not a retirement plan. I'm not trying to be mean, but it is unconsciounable that our military families are willing to give their life yet we can't put enough in the paycheck to put food on the table.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No one said SS should not exist but It's a fact that you will(if you ever receive it) get more money than you put in. That sounds to me like built in COLA. Stop bitching. there are millions of people who have not had a raise in years.
    Oh and SS is not a savings account. It is a fictional "lockbox" that turned into a congressional lunch box. In all actuality it's probably our hard worked for tax dollars.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, we pay into SS now and I will be damned shocked if we ever get a penny back...but I suppose we don't deserve ours like you do gert.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• DH is retired, disabled military. We haven't seen a COLA raise in I forget how many years on his military retirement, and none the past two years for SSDI. He is just now eligible for Medicare ~ and both of us would be happy to ignore that, but it is mandatory if he isn't working somewhere else. Because we also have Tricare, we have the lovely choice of paying for Medicare OR losing Tricare. Either way we're forced.

As mentioned, costs keep going up. We're fortunate enough to have a garden, food and dairy animals, and things are still tight. Others don't have that. Maybe I should just sit here and hold my breath for Obamacare to save us all ~ not. Those of you who think letting the gubmint 'take care of you' is a great thing obviously have NOT experienced it first hand. Me, I'm sitting here with RA/SLE, needing a hysterectomy, and can't find a doctor that will take Tricare and also at least seems to know what a uterus is.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am disabled and receive SSDI. We have not received a cost of living raise for 2 years, because the Gov said that the COL index had not changed. Even though during the same period prices increased. Now, a COLA just when there is talk of increasing Medicare premiums. How convenient!
    Msaural

Answer by Msaural at 6:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dunno, I'm not so sure people should get a COLA for SS. I think yourspecialkid is right about it being a supplement and it was never meant to be someones sole source of income.
    As for medicare going up? Please don't tell me you didn't expect that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• WHat if you had a savings account at your bank and one day you went to the bank and wanted to withdraw part of the balance but they said "Sorry, we used your money for other reasons and you can't have it." Would that be legal? NO!

Interesting many libs like you think I should have to pay half my income in taxes to support others. You also think when I die my kids shouldn't be able to inherit my estate without taxing it at 50 percent. I am surprised you don't think it should be legal to take someones savings account.lol
    Anonymous

• LOL Gert....the money YOU paid in was spent LONG ago. Your check is courtesy of those paying in today. I am not saying this is right and that you don't deserve the money..I think you do...you did pay it in afterall. SS is a Ponzi scheme and I do believe Madoff taught us a really good lesson on those.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I didn't ask about the military. That is an entirely different matter.

Back to SS. There are so many people that depend on it for their income. No one asked to be disabled and no one asked the government to put their hand in the till. When you are angry about not having SS when it is your time to retire or become disabled, the best thing to do is write and ask your government where your money is. It is not the fault of the people that your money isn't there. The public did not go in and borrow it.

Many of us have paid into the program and in a way it is like a bank account. You expect your savings to be there. If you are not wanting your money in this type of program just what would you do with it? How would you stock pile for your future?
    foreverb3

Comment by foreverb3 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011