Who's daddy?? (single mom)

Part A of question:

My daughter is 2 years old and is starting to ask about daddy. I was definitely not expecting her to ask about "Daddy" for at least a few more years! I'm in desperate need of help. How should I go about this?? Her bio dad and i split when I was just a few months pregnant and haven't talked to him since. (Not on Birth Certificate either and a very bad guy). How do I explain daddy to her???

Part B of the question:

My boyfriend (Ethan-who is NOT the dad) is now living with us. We (Ethan, me, and my daughter) were all driving in the car together when my daughter said "Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. Daddy. Mommy and Daddy. Ethan and Mommy. Daddy, Mommy, and me. Mommy, Ethan, and meee."

Help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow, that's a tough one.

How about: "Ethan isn't Daddy. Daddy was here a long time ago but he had to go away."
    Anonymous

• that is super tough... i agree with anonymous above.... explain that ethan isnt her daddy and that her daddy had to go live far far away but he still loves her and misses hre (if its not true just to make her feel better i guess) and when shes older you can explain better
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Being a single mom is very tough i have been there i know.
    rosapeoples86

Answer by rosapeoples86 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I went through the same thing with my son. I told him that daddy lived really far away and that's why he isn't here right now. Luckily he is part of his life now, but at the time I planned on just telling him the truth when he was old enough to understand it. You have to be careful on when that is tho because children sometimes don't understand and blame themselves. Make sure they are old enough to really understand.
    bekloveslog6137

Answer by bekloveslog6137 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• this is a hard on my daughter use to see random men walking down the road and say mommy look thats my daddy is that my daddy...her dad and i split wen she was 2mnth old and he didnt just leave he would bounce in and out of her life which is soo hard since shed want to call him and would cry when she wasnt able too...now hes in her life mostly wen its convent for him but for awhile she calld my bf now fieance daddy and he is her dad even tho hes not her bio....i would talk to ethan and see how he feels about her callin him daddy if ur staying together and planning on getting married and this bio dad wont be around whats so bad about her seening him as dad?? just sit down and talk and good luck sweetie!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i agrre, tell her daddy lives far away. the older she gets go ,more into detail about y he cant be around
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i agree with everyone else tell her, her dady lovesher very much but just cant be here right now cause he is away. Then the older she gets give more details, one day you will be faced with looking him up for her, or she might wait tell she is old enough to do it herself.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2011