Tea cup Chihuaha

My neighbors have a tea cup chihuaha (9wks). Well, all of a sudden his little tummy got hard as a rock. Does anyone know what this could be? they are taking him to the vet, but wanted to get some answers here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Worms. Save the money of a vet visit and go buy some worm medication at pet smart.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was thinking the same thing, worms. Either way though, a 9 week old dog SHOULD go to the vet, to get all the initial shots.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It sounds like a symptom of bloat which needs immediate attention. By the time this symptom appears you have very limited time to get him medical attention. It's not very common in smaller breeds but it's better to be safe than sorry. Bloat is second only to cancer as the leading cause of death in dogs. However, if not bloat or worms he may have just eaten too much too fast. That's why most vets will suggest giving this breed smaller portions with more feedings a day. This prevents eating too much. He may throw up all the food he has eaten because his tiny tummy can't take it all at once. :(
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• He needs to be taken to a vet. Don't waist your money off of buying products from the pet store. You can get a prescription from the vet and buy the medication from 1-800 pet meds pretty cheap. But, it's hard to say if it's worms, or bloat or something else which is why as a puppy he needs to be seen by a vet.
    Anonymous

• I had a chihuahua who had the same problem. Her stomach got so large that I thought she was pregnant. I took her to the vet and he did blood tests, ex rays, etc and I found out she had liver disease. Two weeks later she was gone. SHe was only 3 years old and was always running, but a couple of days before she died, she just laid around.
    doriska

Answer by doriska at 6:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My first thought was also worms, but definitely good that they are taking the pup to the vet!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ate the wrong thing?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Vet and get meds from vet. If they can wait Drs Foster and Smith has cheaper meds than Petmeds.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2011