Fun stuff to do in San Fran?

We might be taking a trip to San Francisco this Spring. Just me, my husband, and our almost four year old. I know there's Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, and a Six Flags near by, but with a preschooler, are those things going to be fun for him?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Travel

• Well, Six Flags isn't SUPER close, but what 4 year old wouldn't like that? Another thing toddlers REALLY like (and it's not expensive at all) is Fairyland in Oakland. It's a little park with rides, and fairy tale buildings. It's been around FOREVER, and it's not all that fun for adults, but little kids love it... Also, if you want to go to the zoo, go to the one in Oakland, it's much better than the one in San Francisco. He'll probably like Fisherman's Wharf, just because of all the sea lions resting there. Alcatraz might not be all that fascinating to him, but it's something everybody should see while they still allow visitors. Bring a sweater, it gets COLD out there!

Santa Cruz boardwalk is a fun place to take kids too, they have a bunch of kid rides, and the beach is right there. Again though, remember you're in Northern California, and spring is NOT beach weather by any stretch of the imagination!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh, and if you're willing to drive a couple of hours, Monterey has a really nice aquarium, and some areas where kids can touch starfish and stuff... My son loves that, too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Agree with Anouck. One thing - don't assume the aquarium on Fisherman's Wharf is anything like the one in Monterey. Completely not. My kids wound up bored and its dinky besides. Totally not worth the money. Another thing my kids love are the trolley cars. And it definitely does get cold, and usually windy. We went in late June and wound up having to buy sweatshirts.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've been there once before, but that was almost 10 years ago straight out of high school. My siblings were five and seven, but we did a lot in San Francisco. We were there in August and it was freezing! I just remember driving around a lot, going on BART and the trolleys, and going to Fisherman's Wharf. I don't remember much else.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• OMG shopping! Take the LO to FAO Schwartz.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The children's museum in San Fransisco is fun I used to go there as a kid.
    kristinmcd

Answer by kristinmcd at 5:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• SF is more of an adult city, although there is Golden Gate Park. I live in Rio del Mar/Aptos in Santa Cruz County and there are many fun things to do for kids from Santa Cruz to Monterey. The boardwalk, train rides through the redwoods, beach after beach, and of course the aquarium in Monterey. Beautiful part of the country and state.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If your staying downtown your in walking distance of China Town and it's fun for all ages, so many colors and things to do and great food, maybe go to the zoo too .
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011