Don't know whether to be critical or sympathetic in a gas station

When I was filling my car to get to work at a gas station, I had to stay behind a woman buying junk food (44 oz soda, large cookie, and a cheese sausage muffin) as groceries (the clerk actually rang the purchase order as so). I didn't take notice until I was getting impatient to prepay for my gas. I leaned over to see what was going on. I saw her use her state card to pay for the junk food for breakfast 7am this morning. The girl was my height, about 5'6", but she looked like she was well over 300lbs. I wanted to tell her that if she's going to eat on my dime, then at least eat healthy. But the girl looked very fragile in the face (emotional). She didn't look any older that 25 (very young). I had to think to myself that time of financial assistance is limited. And by the time this girl expires her time on the assistance payroll, she would have a very hard time transitioning because of social criticism (I know how cruel the world is.) I just wondered to myself of how did this girl allow herself to be in this state so young in her life? (this cannot be originated through a gland problem or a medical issue due to the food she was eating - just didn't seem right)

Plz no snarky answers. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• i agree that if someone goes on food stamps at least they should try to eat healtier but then you have to realize no one is teaching those persons how to cook better. i have been on food stamps and i made sure that fruits and vegetables were on sight and on the table everyday.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• eat on your dime huh?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It seems you chose the critical route. You made a quick judgement from seeing someone for 5 minutes in a gas station. Not knowing a back story or anything else about this woman.

And yeah I hardly think she is eating on "your dime." Do you even know where "your dime" goes when you pay it? Do you know many CEOs of billion dollar corporations are eating off "your dime?"
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You post something like that and then you have enough audacity to ask for others not to be snarky?!?!?!?! So I guess you pay taxes while all the rest of us sit on our ass and do nothing....You are not the only one who pays taxes...did you take a minute to wonder what her situation is as you were looking over her shoulder to see what she was paying with?? Just because she doesn't choose to eat what you eat doesn't make her less of a flippen person...My husband and I have paid taxes almost all of our lives, and we don't qualify for any help at all...but I'm not ignorant enough to believe that if welfare was cut entirely our taxes would also be cut....Puuuhhleeeezzzze.
    Anonymous

• Weight is such a hard thing to discuss. and unless you are overweight it is hard to understand. Habits are hard to break, emotional eating is hard to stop. She is probably way more aware of her weight than you would ever be.

(I speak as someone who has 150 lbs to lose)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Frankly a quarter the nation is on EBT right now... In fact I just applied after we lost some more income. I qualify for 600 for a family of 4. WTH? We only spend 400 now. She can afford the junk, that's why she gets it.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure she feel real good about 'eating on your dime' to. I tell you what. When I get my FS next month for the first time in my life, I will keep 'your dime' in mind.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am all about getting help when you need it.. shoot.. i needed help with groceries before.. But what really bothers me is when people use their food stamp cards for nothing but junk. I love junk food and yes..what household is complete without cookies and ice cream and such?! But i work at a grocery store and i see some people everytime they come in buying nothing but junk.. and it just irritates me beyond belief! Who knows.. maybe she was just splurging that morning! Or ( like me!) couldnt decide on just one thing... Maybe it was hr breakfast and lunch? Although it irritates me.. at least they are able to get food. We don't know what they have been through.. and we aren't perfect.. we may like to tell people how to spend that money.. but in the end it's not really our say.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 6:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You're already being critical & not sympathetic. Until you walk in someone else's shoes, you should just not judge them. I'm sure you have enough of your own issues & shortcomings to keep yourself busy, why try to fix someone else?... I see you chose to post this anonymously... that says a lot right there.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would never judge any person because its not my place and besides karma has a way of coming back and biting you in the rear. Some people have medical issues and can't lose weight. maybe the food was for someone else.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011