So hungry after a workout...

I did weights, walked and now I am starving. I just finished my dinner (spaghetti w/squash and zucchini, salad) and I am starving.

Does anyone else have this problem, what do you eat?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes your body needs complex carbs and protien. I like to have a banana smoothy made with greek yogart, a banana, a little skim milk and some honey. Usually does the trick for me and it's good to keep muscle cramps away.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I do that too, and I always crave like meat or something like that!
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 6:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh and I forgot to add, I usually will just drink a protein shake and hope that does it!
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 6:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my trainer says you are supposed to have carbs before working out and protein after working out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• no, not really but I get full easily. Try drinking lots of water and eating carrot sticks which have few calories.no fat.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That dinner has no protein even if it has lots of healthy things. That's essential for helping hunger. a protein shake or a half a bagel w/ some natural peanut better, a lowfat cheese stick and a small banana. A good mix of complex carbs and a little protein will help.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I always eat after a workout. You really should eat. You've depleted your glycogen stores, which is why you're so hungry. You should eat a balance of healthy carbs, healthy fats, and lean protein. Nothing huge, but something. I keep a banana handy for after my runs. It's the perfect post-workout food.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Try something with a little more protein and a little fewer carbs AFTER working out. Pasta is good before a workout, but after, it doesn't tend to really fill you up. A slice of chicken breast on a multigrain roll with some squash/zucchini would fill you up more and total less calories if you eat it after a workout =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• opposite problem. if and when I work out I am nauseated and weak..... so I try and get my eat on BEFORE hand.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was told to have a small low carb shake after a work out. Its supposed to kick your body into metabolism stage. I am not sure if that works though.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011