Do you actually think it's possible to maintain a friendship with an ex?

SammyHolloway

Asked by SammyHolloway at 6:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes,if there are kids involved, you have to be sociable.
    doriska

Answer by doriska at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Absolutely! As a matter of fact, one of my closest friends is somebody I used to date... I think it all depends on the circumstances though, how long were you together, was the break-up mutual, is one or the other still harboring feelings...

I'm friends with quite a few of my exes. The way I see it, we may not have worked out as a couple, but I liked them as a person at some point, and that never really changed. Just because you don't hit it off romantically, doesn't mean you can't be good friends.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, I really hope to not get bashed with this statement, but it's 100% honest.

I've had a few one time sexual experiences with a few guy friends. We'd went on a few dates here and there, and that's ALL it was. It was not committed, it was not a relationship, it was more of a fling at best. Then we decided we just weren't compatible and went our separate ways. When that happens, then yes you can generally have and maintain a normal friendship.

If you've actually been in a relationship, no. I have never had it work. Feelings abrupt, they get jealous, blah blah blah. It's in all honesty a complete mess, and I don't suggest trying it. In my point of view, it's very difficult to maintain a NORMAL friendship with someone you've been in a relationship with.
    Anonymous

• I could never be friends with an ex, although I'm friends with my ex on facebook but I don't talk to him at all. I kept ignoring him and he kept asking me so I just figured I would just say yes to the friendship. He tries to talk to me but I just ignore him.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was in an eight year relationship with my ex....we are still best friends....and like normal best friends we have our ups and downs...I did his wife's hair and make up for their wedding, I stayed with him and her when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, because I couldn't be by myself....so yes it is 100% possible to stay friends with ex's.... We found that we just fizzled out...sure our relationship was rough and rocky to say the least but him and I both decided after we split up that our next boyfriend/girlfriend would have to accept his and my relationship......we both are happily married (to different people).....We have cookouts and dinners, we celebrate some holidays together.....we have a wonderful relationship and our son is happy and healthy...we did for our son what many can't...we put our differences aside sucked it up and remained the best parents we could be...
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• More than possible. I didn't, but I know people who were very successful at this.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yes, i do think it's possible. my ex lives in my hometown, my family loves him they still consider him part of the family, he's an amazing person, we are still friends, i actually wish we could talk more, but my SO isn't comfortable with it, so we only talk when i'm back home, and my SO is there with me.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Right now, no, I don't! My stbxh was emotionally and verbally abusive to me and has gotten worse since we seperated. I refuse to talk to him anymore because all he does is cuss at me, tell me how awful a person and parent I am. I have blocked him on my cell phone at this point and have told him that he can only contact me through email. I will not subject my child to this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would say it depends on the people involved and the relationship dynamics. It is certainly possible. good luck.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Absolutely!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011