How can I encourage my 20month old to talk more?

dimpsedee34me

Asked by dimpsedee34me at 6:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First don't worry too much. My DS had a limited amount of things to say at that age and now just 2 months later he is saying all sorts of things. If you want your LO to say more try asking questions. I say everything I am doing and ask a thousand questions a day and he is starting to also. GL!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Sing to her (Itsy Bitsy Spider, You Are My Sunshine, etc), read her LOTS of books (My daughter LOVES Brown Bear Brown Bear), crayons and art (I like to talk about what I am drawing), let her help you with chores and explain what you're doing, etc.

If she can mimic you, let her help you do chores. Our DD "helps" us take her diaper to the trash, even though she can't fully understand what she's doing, she will learn. She can also help unload the dishwasher (if things are in that aren't breakable). We also let our daughter pull out our seasonings and we talk to her about what each seasoning goes well with, such as poultry seasoning for Thanksgiving.

I have struggled with this one. It's very difficult to me to talk to someone who cannot respond back, though I am learning. Though I make it a point to try and explain everything. Like, what sort of food she is going to get, ask her if she's hungry, ask her if it tastes well, etc.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I take care of 19 month old that says very little and if I press the issue he gets very upset. So now I am working with flash cards but not insisting that he repeat and you know the other day I ask him a question and he nodded yes for the first time. Basically they will talk when they are ready. My 1 year old loves to repeat words and point to stuff wanting to know what it is all children are different.
    I think that yours will start talking soon.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We spend the first two years teaching our children to walk and talk. We spend the next 16 years telling them to sit down and be quiet.

As a mom of a 4 year old motor mouth; ENJOY the silence!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Read to her, keep talking to her and engaging her in conversation , keep singing and keep the TV off as much as possible for a while forcing her to engage with you more.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011