my childern are 10&5 how do I let go and let them grow and experience life

I have 2 kids they want to ride 4 wheelers and go hunting with their dad, but I dont know if I have anxiety issues with that because i dont want them getting hurt.I sometimes say no and think up an excuse of why they cant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• If they are with their dad let them go. Your kids will be old enough one day to do what they want. Then you wont be able to stop them. Let them learn from their dad.

Answer by louise2 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I'd say make it a "rite of passage" of sorts. 5 seems kind of young for those activities, if you ask me. I'd say 10, but your older one has already passed that milestone, so if you let him now but he's already passed it and your younger one gets to right when he turns 10 it could be an issue later). Allow the age to be 11 or 12 for each of them (same for both obviously). Make a big deal of it so when it's their turn they will each be excited about it, and this way they will have hopefully the maturity to listen and follow all the safety rules - with Dad along, of course so he can properly teach them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We are having that issue with hunting and my girls are only TWO! My hubby is a HUGE hunter and plans on taking them when they turn five...I say NO! They need to be at least 10 yrs old. Scares the crap out of me just because they're so little and I hate to think that something could happen. I may make an exception for BOW hunting at 5, but def. NOT gun season.
    Anonymous