Just a thought.....(welfare)

I've been reading a lot about welfare lately....just a few facts I would like to point out to those of you who don't have a clue to what you're talking about.

Do you know that if you make a certain amount a month (BEFORE taxes) it doesn't matter what your bills are a month, that you do not qualify, even though you make under the "yearly" amount allowed.

Do you know that welfare laws make it more affordable to be single and a parent than they do for a family?

Do you also realize that many many caseworkers are telling applicants to get a legal separation so that they will qualify for help because their hands are tied...

There are many out there who like to screw the system, but there are more out there who have worked almost everyday of their lives and never asked for a penny until now, there are people who are disabled, abused mothers and fathers, and just "normal" people in general trying to make ends meet....

Before you judge, ask what you would do if you lost your job and couldn't put food in your child's mouth...would you give them up for adoption, give them to a family member or friend while you lived on the street, or would you break down and go ask for help from your state???

As for what they buy with them....I have to chuckle a bit...you give someone 200.00 a month in food stamps and then 200.00 a month in cash and tell them they can only use it on food....see what happens...see who buys healthier vs junk.....

Just sayin.....don't judge until you walk in their shoes.

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I may get my brains bashed in here, but I'm gonna go out on this limb anyhow; Until there is a plan in place for actually and reliably enforcing welfare fraud, we, as a society, are gonna have to suck it up and support those on welfare because we aren't willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. I know that I am willing to turn a blind eye to the fraud *IF* that is the ONLY way of knowing that the ¬†other *VERY DESERVING* families are getting the help they so desperately need in today's economy. (I didn't say I'd like turning a blind eye - and I sure as hell would be the first one to vote yes on tougher fraud laws) But until we have a sure-fire way of separating the abusers from those who really need and deserve it - I'm willing to stomach the fraud for the sake of the needy. This is truly one of those situations where punishing EVERYone for the sins of the few is a greater travesty than the travesty already in place.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The true problem is there are actually legal jobs out there were a person can work 40 hours a week and still not have enough money to feed let along himself, but a family. Everyone I know who gets food stamps or on medical or something like that HAS a job. Some have 2. The cost of living constantly goes up where as the wages stay the same or decrease. When I was growing up, even as an adult, if you worked at Burger King, you had an okay job. You could pay your $500/month rent, $100 utilities, and $200 car note and have a little left over for entertainment. If you needed more money, you worked overtime. Now overtime isn't allowed at jobs like that. And you can't even rent a room in someone's house for $500/month.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Do you also realize that many many caseworkers are telling applicants to get a legal separation so that they will qualify for help because their hands are tied

do you know why this is done? its when there is a devastating medical situation involving a parent who cannot get health care usually without becoming seperated from their spouse. it is not like people do this willy nilly or want to do it. but when life threatening health emergencies occur, people do desperate things. very few caseworkers would ever suggest this except in the most dire circumstances. you mentioned this and all it does is give fodder to the bashers without a more full explanation.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 7:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• BUMP!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Okay well let me clarify the situation I'm talking about....a man worked for 25 years of his life, he lost his job, got unemployment..when his wife and him went into the welfare office to ask for help (they were losing their home, utilities were in shut off notice) They had two small little girls....The case worker told him, Would you be willing to get a separation, because if you aren't their is nothing we can do.... There are caseworkers out there with a heart, who see these people cross their office day in and day out....and there is nothing they can do...NO it isn't something that happens on a daily basis, but it does happen, and I was using it more as an example of their hands being tied than I was about people running a scam on the system...it's not cheap to get a legal separation, and then a parent still has to pay child support...for anyone that thinks it is simple, just isn't using their brains.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @ Keisha the sad situation is, yes you do have working homes that fight day to day to make ends meet....and you have those that honestly do absolutely nothing so that they can stay on welfare...because they get HUD or section 8 housing...if you have a job a lot of times those apartments try to charge you anywhere from $500 to $1000 a month, day care if you work is more expensive than it is if you go work at a job placement for welfare....

I have found that to be a state certified sitter you can charge minimum wage for each child that you watch....and the state pays for it....but if you are a parent who has to pay out of pocket, they are still required to charge you the same amount they charge the state....

For most it isn't the people that are messed up within the system, it is the system itself that is flawed.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• " it is the system itself that is flawed. "

^^^ THIS^^^ If the folks who don't really need assistance (those abusing the system) stopped tying up funds, then there would be more help for those families that really DO need it. I don't think that the majority of Americans object to helping struggling families, it's usually the encounters with abusers that get folks worked up. It really is disturbing to know that a scammer out there might be taking food from my child's mouth when they're really not struggling. I have to pay the IRS this year. I don't mind paying for things that are needed to better our country and for future generations, but it stinks that I have to take money from our house savings fund to pay for govt. overspending and broken-down programmimg. I just have hope that someone out there is benefitting from our contributions.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am on food stamps because I am in school full time and I work full time. I have 2 kids who are in school and they also get free lunch. I know that some people look down on me for this but it is all I can do to keep my kids fed. My ex mostly works under the table so he is only ordered to pay $220 a month for 2 children even though he drives a new truck and wears expensive clothes and is constantly taking vacations. If we want to fix the public assistance problem, let's fix the child support problem. I think, before just believing the dads that they don't work under the table, look at what bills they are paying, if they say they are only making $1600 a month but their bills add up to $2000, shouldn't that be a clue they are working under the table?
    Anonymous

• "let's fix the child support problem"

Another broken-down system. Why isn't our govt. being held accountable? There's so much focus on generating more revenue to create more programming, when the current programs are faulty. The programs in place can only be effective when they are tweaked and brought up to speed with what is actually helpful and empowering. It's a domino effect in many situations. Folks breaking the law get the breaks, while folks who strive to better their lives get pushed down. Can you report your ex, Anon? He's breaking the law.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've been on welfare most of my life. My mother was on it and so was i when i moved out. not once in my 25 years have we not worked. I admit to haveing children while on assistance. But i will also say that the birth control i was on did not work. (LOTS of meds don't work on me including pain killers) I had to make a heart breaking decision with the birth of my third child. My husband lost his job shortly afterwards and we had to live with my mother in law in her already over crowded house. I joined the army.
    My kids will hopefully never have to see the inside of a clinic again until they are grown. I feel slightly ashamed for the times when others put food on my table but i try my hardest every day to pay that help back. The system is broke but so is the economy. You have to have more out there for people to do to earn their way. Even now my husband stays at home with my younger two because we can't afford daycare.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011