L.E.E.P. Procedure

I found out from one of my routine paps that I have type 16 HPV. That is one of the strains that are common to causing cervical cancer. The doctor did a coposcopy and it showed mild dysplasia. We waited till 6 weeks after I had my son to do a repeat colposcopy to see if the dysplasia was still there. It was and they did a biopsy. That came back abnormal so now I have to have a leep. I wonder if anyone here has had this done and what their experience with it was and if it made it harder to have a normal pregnancy afterward. I am very worried about the outcome of this. Thanks in advance.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Health

• Yes, definitely ask your doctor any and all questions you have. Also, do some research online about the procedure. It's been awhile since I had mine done so all I remember is a bit of cramping and I was nervous. I only have one child and I didn't have the LEEP done until after I had him (that's when my paps began to be abnormal). I've never been able to have another child, however I do NOT think it was because of the LEEP. I also have PCOS and insulin resistance, which is probably why I've never been able to have more children (I've seen doctors and none of them have ever mentioned the possibility of the LEEP procedure doing anything to my fertility). My son is 10 now and I'm 30 so my chances are slim of ever conceiving again. However, you are not me and probably don't have the same health issues, so I would think you'd be okay. Just ask your doctor, do some research, etc. Best wishes!
    mommyredrose23

Answer by mommyredrose23 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had mine done after I had my kids. I know that half of my cervix is now missing. I don't really remember much about it. It was 6 years ago.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had one also after having my children. Write down all your questions and talk them over with your doctor. Ask if a cervical cerclage (cervix sewn shut until full term) is ever considerd in any future pregnancies if you wanted reassurance. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That is one of my biggest concerns. I would like to have one more baby and am worried that it may not happen whether if it is because I have cancer or because of the leep. If I can't have anymore I know I will be heart broken for a bit but i'll deal. But I will ask the doctor about it when I go in.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011